"Another" throttle question

OK Ive searched and searched and its not that there arent enough topics on this but Im still just not getting it. Yesterday I went to start this bike and it went into WOT and shot across the yard and smashed into a tree. Now if this was on youtube and wasnt me I would have laughed my ass off. Well I still did but I bent my fender all up and the chain came off. Will someone please help me out with this damn throttle hook up. The guy I got it from had this thing all screwed up, hell there were 3 different springs attached to everything. Also the cable is really freyed (spelling) at the spot where it turns down to the attachment spot (oh yeah and the attachemnt is a sheet rock screw). Is this the correct setup at the turndown cuase it seems too small or something at this area. I dont even know what the governor is on this thing. If anyone has pics or a schematic drawing on how all of this attaches then that would be fine. I would even purchase everything new to re do this but I dont even know where to start. Part numbers? Any type of help on this would be greatly appreciated. Right now this thing is horribly dangerous. My brakes are gone as well but that will be a different thread. Please help this newbie...how can I completely rebuild a Holley double pump and a damn mini bike is kicking my a$$...hahahaha

n58591

GTO has several post of throttle linkages. I think I saw one of his with this exact engine. He even drew little arrows to show you where the springs go. I'll search for it.

Yeah I seen that one. It seems like I have a crap load of more "plates" in the way. I had his picture open next to mine and tried to figure it out...ill try it again. Maybe I wasnt looking at all the pics though.

OK, first it looks like your throttle cable is all bent up and not hooked up straight in line for smooth return and you don't have enough return spring AND someone put a spring on the gov arm so I can see why it took off on you.

BTW, always put the rear wheel off the ground when testing a new set up or bike and always test the throttle return.

Anyway, it looks like your linkage has been bent and molested. Fix that spring up at the bottom, it controls the throttle so have a little slack.

Remove the spring to the gov (see red in your pic) and try hooking things up this way with an extra throttle return spring (Green area's are good places for a return spring)

Get a new throttle cable or cut the kinked part off if you have enough cable left. (if so retract the cable and trim the cable housing to make a new end)

Try running the engine with no cable hooked up to trouble shoot one step at a time. (wheel off the ground!)

Hope these pic's help and feel free to ask more questions. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah Im not sure if i finally bent that area back but i noticed that as well and the guy i bought it from told me how this was the area that got all screwed up in the wreck. I can somewhat understand now. So the governor arm is what is attahced at the carb? Does this need a spring on it at all? I know these must be dumb questions....

Also where the throttle cable goes down to the actaul throttle lever is tearing up the cable. Where can I get a new one at. Id you can see where my throttle turns down its not vertical but more of a 45 degree angle so to me it would seem thats why it binds. What is this called and is it something easliy obtainable. I see in your 3rd picture where you drew the green line yours is striaght up and down and clean. Thats what I ened. I see there is existing holes to attach to.

Oh yeah....Ive learned my lesson on starting without it raised now ahahhah...i bent the crap out of the fender cause it TOOK OFF...my buddy who was with me races outlaw cars and even he said man that thing just took off ahahahhaa.

Well here is a cool pic of the mini and my truck....

Looks like you have a Bonanza BC1100 :thumbsup:

I would hook up a jack shaft to it for better gearing. :thumbsup:

If you have enough cable to reach you can cut the bent part off, then pull the housing off and cut enough so the cable sticks out about 4" or what ever you need to hook up right. Yes clamp it like I did in the pic for a straight pull. You will need a cable clamp. (I'll take pic's later)

The Gov arm is the arm on the left that connects to the carb, that big spring on top is fighting the little one on the bottom so remove it. If the gov was removed inside the engine then you could hook it like that.

You can get cable anywhere but if you want to hook up a jack shaft let me know and I'll show you a place you can buy everything you need. For now I think you can ride it if your cable is long enough,,,,Is it?

Need closer pic's of the bike (not in the shade)

Cool deal. Yes pics would be awesome cause I feel I learn more that way. I have already took that spring off since I had a feeling that had nothing to do with the return system. This bike is Redneck engineered to the fullest. Its a shame too cause he welded stuff on the frame and it looks like crap. I will soon learn though. OK so I was going to just order a new cable and throttle since im missing one grip and the throttle grip is all ripped up and the glue comes off in your hand. its a 7/8" grip right? Also the hand brake is actually a bicycle brake which was welded as well.

I will take more pics for you and if there is anything you see messed up please tell me. Im all about learning.

I would like to know about the jack shaft as well. Send that info. Diagrams anything.

Also I have alot of oil coming out of the clutch shaft/rod housing (not down with the lingo yet) when its tilted to the left. Seems there is a something seriously worn out. A rebuild is in need but what would you think? If so where can I get a kit and how hard is it?

oh....what are the little plates that have the little hole and big hole located on the bottom part of the frame behind the engine. I noticed some mini's have foot brakes. Is that what these holes are for as well as the chain gaurds. What are their purposes?

:doah: OK maybe last question. Rebuild kits for these engines. What tools are needed. I have most the basic tools for my truck so I figured I should be good. If I can rebuils Holleys and tear out rear ends in my drive way I should be able to rebuild a 6 hp engine. Maybe a valve adjustment reader and thats it huh? thats not counting basic open wrenches and the obvious tools.

Thanks for all of your help so far man. I really do appreciate this.

Im just ready to :scooter:

Lets start with good pic's of your bike.

The oil leak could just be the seal at the shaft.

You need 1" grips

The holes on the frame in front of the rear tire are for jack shaft (large hole) swing arm for models 1200 on up. (medium hole) and for optional scrub brake (small hole) A scrub brake is a bar that has a steel plate on it that rubs the tire.

Your foot pegs should be up front on the little bar in front of the engine. (if yours is a BC 1100)

Look here. OldMiniBikes.com Bonanza - Vintage Mini Bike Community. Forum, Photo Album, Projects and more