Another What type of Engine is This, thread.

Got this engine donated to me a while back.
Guy said it ran great, but he took parts from it to fix up another engine.

Just wondering what it is so I might be able to start getting parts for it.

Thanks!

:shrug:

my vote is briggs 5hp.. aka model 13. the block on the port side has that big slanded bulge where the cam fits.. that's how I'm seeing it anyway. :shrug: actually I'm not really sure.. that block looks too small to be a 5... but none of my 3.5's look at all like that.. maybe it's an older style or something... :doah:

Last edited:
yeah that's gotta be a 5hp.. never seen one with a windvain governor on it. but I also see the original governor arm. so maybe someone put a 3.5hp coil on it. :shrug: looking at the block again it's defiantly a 5hp though.

EDIT: wait that's not a windvain is it... what the heck is that? :confused:

Looks like a 5HP block.

yeah that's gotta be a 5hp.. never seen one with a windvain governor on it. but I also see the original governor arm. so maybe someone put a 3.5hp coil on it. :shrug: looking at the block again it's defiantly a 5hp though.

That is just an air guide. Briggs part number 691745. You can buy them on ebay.

It's a fiver and that fin is to redirect air. should have a 13 stamped on the corner of the head between the fins.:thumbsup:

One is on the cylinder head in between the first and second vane...

One cast onto the side of the lifter area (small)

then theres a great big one INSIDE the lifter area....

13 is a 5 horse, 10 is a 4 horse... Being black it could be either or.. But from looking at the head, I would say it's a 5 horse, or at least a 5 horse head.. Being the 4 horse heads had a tighter straiter grained pattern cooling fins around the spark plug area...