Anyone else ever do this???

Last year I rebuilt a 5hp briggs and I had to bore it and put a new piston and rings in and do the valve work and so on. Total job. Any way I bought a new fancy chrome exhaust pipe that just screwed in, and let me tell you I really got screwed. Ofcourse the exhaust was just chrome plated, even on the threads, and after a few runs, it flakes off!!! No big deal right? WRONG!! Even the chrome on the threads flaked off, and of course went into the exhaust valve and down the cylinder and scored the piston and cylinder walls!!! Job gone to hahahaha!!! Just thought I would let people know that chrome is just pretty and it doesn't make anything run better, it can mess things up.

Oldsalt

I like nickel plate. It looks good, and is very easy to do at home. Interrestingly, USDA will not allow chrome plate in any processing line. Nickel is OK. It does not flake.

I don't think it can be fixed cause I bored it .030 over (max for briggs) it also left big gouges in the cylinder walls. Also I have made my own exhaust out of the exhaust cones from the crotch rockets and I even used the same flange that bolts to the 49cc engine. I have a suped up 5 hp that it is on and when it is ideling it sounds like it is loaping.

I would have to get a whole other block. the cylinder doesn't come off of briggs engines. The only things that were hurt was the piston and block the rest is fine.

I thought some thing wasn't right. Like I said everything else was fine and I have several blocks that can be built. So ever one just be ware chrome plated exhaust is a no no. hahahaha.

65ShelbyClone

I'm a little puzzled as to how chrome plating actually went backward through the exhaust port and valve to end up in the cylinder. :confused:

I like nickel plate. It looks good, and is very easy to do at home. Interrestingly, USDA will not allow chrome plate in any processing line. Nickel is OK. It does not flake.
You know of any recommended reading on the subject? I discovered by accident how to remove the hardchrome from titanium valves(and passivate them at the same time :nuke:), but nickel plating could be fun. :smile:

Oldsalt

I'm a little puzzled as to how chrome plating actually went backward through the exhaust port and valve to end up in the cylinder. :confused:

You know of any recommended reading on the subject? I discovered by accident how to remove the hardchrome from titanium valves(and passivate them at the same time :nuke:), but nickel plating could be fun. :smile:
I can reccomend Caswell. 315-946-1213. Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc.. I have the nickel, copper and chrome set-ups from them. Also a bunch of anodizing stuff. Good people. I rarely use the chrome, could do without it. My belief would be for a beginner to buy a 3 gal. set-up for nickel only. It takes a very small power supply [only .05 to .06 amps per sq. in. of surface] and it is really good looking. Most of my 41 Harley is nickel, not chrome. It's quick and easy and not highly toxic like the chrome set-up. I can walk you through it if you are interested.

a friend of mine made an exhaust for his 3Hp briggs for his go-kart, but he didn't make a support for it, so after a few rides on the trail behind his house, his engine was slowly losing power and compression, so then we unscrewed the exhaust, and there was a nice big crackrunning from the top of the exhaust port to the top of the exhaust valve seat. we had to get a whole new block.

I have never heard of a 5 hp going as far as 60 over. Where did you get your information? I know briggs only makes 30 over pistons for them. Any way I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this before and what they did to fix it. Thanks for all the replys