Anyone know what Tecumseh this is?

I know very little about Tecumseh. I picked this up from a swap meet. It runs good and has good compression.

Is it a HS40 variant or a 3HP. It does have a 3/4 shaft with threaded hole so I thought it was worth buying.

thanks for any info.

Can you tell us the numbers on the shroud by the spark plug beginning with 143.?? Those numbers show it was produced for Sears. It has the nice side fill tank and you can convert that motor to minibike throttle linkage in about 10 minutes.

Pretty sure it's an HS40

Doc

Last edited:
Can you tell us the numbers on the shroud by the spark plug beginning with 143.?? Those numbers show it was produced for Sears. It has the nice side fill tank and you can convert that motor to minibike throttle linkage in about 10 minutes.

Pretty sure it's an HS40

Doc

Numbers are 143714042 ser# 2267B

Thanks

It's a very good engine for a minibike. You just have to gear it right. My 3.5HP engines haul my 250lbs around even on grass. They just aren't speed demons. The teal bike in my avatar has a 3.5HP Tec on it. I would have bought that engine in a heart beat. It looks like it has been taken care of. Change the oil regardless of what it looks like before you run it too much more.

Doc

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info.. I figured for the $35 bucks they were asking I'd throw it on the shelf in my garage and maybe someday use it or flip it sometime..