ARCO Model Identification

I'm starting to think about my ARCO. Trying to figure out model and year of manufacture. Frame was originally baby blue, K-H caliper (intact). I studied the ads and photos on the web and can't figure it out. This will be a period correct restoration. Early 70s or late 60s? Read tonight that scrubs came after disc--really?

capguncowboy

Looks like top middle ?

It has straight bars on the front end, so it's definitely from this time period -- and it has the tabs for the rear shocks. It also has the disk caliper... Looks right to me

Last edited:
More like top left. Has the spring mounts but no tabs for seat pivot which sends me to the left of center (there's an entendre in there). The brake cable goes to a small tab on the engine plate (that is factory).

As far as i know these bikes came with the kill switch. Mine was there when i bought it. I have seen others with kill switches also. I guess someone just put a plug in yours instead of replacing it. Its hard to date these arco's but these are the earlier ones, so i guess it would be very early 70's.

It should have had a key switch, not a toggle from what I've seen.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Key Switch, very interesting. Never seen one. Makes sense though, cause the hole is a little large for a toggle. I bet you alot of keys got lost.

1stBxMopar

Upper right of the brochure...I believe is your bike.
only 2 bikes on that brochure are 4" wheel bikes (4" front and back). They are upper left and upper right.
Only the 4" wheel bike in the upper right has the brake caliper and welded square nut from the factory on the engine plate that acts as a cable guide/stop.
The other 4" wheel bike has a clutch brake and NO caliper or square nut.
Ask me how I know?? my 13 year olds every day rider is the same bike...LOL

1stBxMopar

It should have had a key switch, not a toggle from what I've seen.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Chad,
I have that brochure stored in my computer, and when I enlarge the picture of it to see more detail on the bikes, you can easily see the key switches, except on the 4" wheel bikes. the switch plate looks flat which leads me to think the lower priced bikes such as the 4" wheel bikes could very well have had a plug in the switch plate.

P.S.- also don't look at the toggle switch in the pictures of my bike because it definatly is not original and was added on thru the years....

Absolutely, thanks for posting this information! I couldn't save my ARCO so I cut it up.
It's nice to see what I would have built had I been able to save the forks.

Matts Auction Bikes 04.jpg

This is a bike that a friend helped me get. Near as I can tell it's mostly original. I'm unsure of the engine and most likely the rear cable but other than that, it's all there. It doesn't have the key style kill switch like some other have. I believe the seat to be original as well. I have another 6" wheel bike that does have it. Another tell tale item with yours is that it has the tab welded to the rear down tube where the long chain guard would mount. I don't think they all have it welded on if they didn't use the long style guard.

It'd be great if somebody would turn up a boat load of missing ARCO documentation. What exists seems to be spread out and it's hard to fill in the gaps.