Are you guys into Chrysler Snow Runners?

I have wanted one for some time. I just bought one 5 miles from home for 80 bucks. It runs but needs a couple parts, front ski, fuel coupler and air filter. I have found the parts on ebay, together they will cost 100 + shipping. I am also looking for the starter recoil. If anyone has parts for this I would be very interested. I will post pics later today!

im jealous,

they run sweet and I wouldnt mind having one,

A neighbor at my cabin has three of them, all in mint condition

I had one restored in 2002. I spent over $1000 in parts on it after paying $50 for the machine. Rode it once and sold it for $550. You can find every NOS part you need on eBay. It went pretty good.

oldsledz

I bought one about a month ago it needs a few parts and some work. It did not have a rewind when I got it I put one on it from a 2 cycle snow blower, it slips , but I think my starter cup is wore I may be able to use the cup from the snow blower engine. I am sure it can be made to work.

Hey oldsledz, thanks for the idea. My runner needs a rewind also. They are 100 bucks that I don't have. I like the idea of another one that fits. I need to look into that. Mine starts with a rope for now. I have never ridden one and am looking forward to. These things are 30 years old. I believe Chrysler made them for the military. I hope that means they are well designed and built. If anyone knows anything about these things I would like to hear it.

i remember reading some where that the engine is commonly used on out board boat motors, so a starter from one of those out boards might be cheaper

Hey, I like the idea of another recoil. I just cannot pay 100 for one. I do not know what kind of motor is in it. I need to do some research on that or run into someone who knows.
smallkikes88.....That video rocks. You are obviously the master. Nice work

I have about 7 Sno runners. They are a blast to ride. 80 bucks!!?? You did GREAT. Are you missing your starter, or is it just not working? You can use a recoil from a two stroke single stage snowblower, like a small toro or the like. Make sure it has a Tecumseh engine. The Sno runner motor (Chrysler power bee) spins counter clockwise as opposed to clockwise like a normal motor, so you will have to flip the spring around. you will also have to drill a new hole in the rewind housing for the rope. If just the starter dogs and the cup are worn, MANY old chainsaws used the Fairbanks Morse starter system. (fairbanks made yours.) A good (not home depot) chainsaw shop may have the parts you need. Try a STIHL dealer- they thrive on customer service. You can try Snorunner.com, his prices online are a little less than the ebay store. Recreational liesure- The makers of lil indian- they sell NEW drive tracks for last I checked 40 bucks. They also have other parts, but you have to ask. Ebay has been scarce lately, but it's winter so check daily. Get a NEW ski, worth the 35 bucks. A worn one can make a huge difference in handling, and make it no fun to ride.
Just like Teeks, I had one that I was going to restore, only to find out it was cheaper to buy a parts sled than to buy new parts. That's how I ended up with 7. I hope this info helps, I'll be out of the office till Friday so I can't help any more till then.If you need more info let me know, I can probably save you a few bucks. all I ask is that you post some photos of your score!! Ps DONT SELL!!

Mark G, you are the person who I need to talk to. Today (before I read your response) I ordered parts off e-bay. The ski $35, the air filter $29 and the fuel coupler $39. I should have tried Rec. Liesure first, now I know. I need a new track too but cannot afford the $80. I could run to R.L tomorrow and get one if they are only $40. I will call them to see if they have the fuel coupler for cheaper. I am going to read your response 15 times and hope that I learn something.
Thanks...Craig

upgrade snorunner motor?

I have 2 snorunners- the idea being more fun with someone.
One I bought mint from Walt. The other pretty bad shape but w a brand new
track- but works

My mechanics suggest not going too far on any adventures because of possible overheating. I weigh 230# & overheated mine roaring thru over 12" of fresh snow at full speed for too long- it was awesome.

no parts needed - a little oil loosened it up

I was wanting a beefier engine- that made less noise, & more power so temps were lower. There are great deals on new GY6 150cc 4 strokes with CVT (no clutch or shifting) 9hp but many cheap parts & mods possible. I am thinking higher low rpm torque- less noise, more power without winding up rpm.

is this a bad idea?

regards

Patrick
Lansing, Mi

I have 2 snorunners- the idea being more fun with someone.
One I bought mint from Walt. The other pretty bad shape but w a brand new
track- but works

My mechanics suggest not going too far on any adventures because of possible overheating. I weigh 230# & overheated mine roaring thru over 12" of fresh snow at full speed for too long- it was awesome.

no parts needed - a little oil loosened it up

I was wanting a beefier engine- that made less noise, & more power so temps were lower. There are great deals on new GY6 150cc 4 strokes with CVT (no clutch or shifting) 9hp but many cheap parts & mods possible. I am thinking higher low rpm torque- less noise, more power without winding up rpm.

is this a bad idea?

regards

Patrick
Lansing, Mi

Don't worry mate be have guys interested on those here:thumbsup: I would like to get one my self......

But if you want more power install a thinner head gasket,
what's the stock hp 7? The military version was 10 hp and had no other engine mods but a thinner head gasket. That about the extent of my knowledge on these machines.

drheilman

The military version was 10 hp and had no other engine mods but a thinner head gasket. That about the extent of my knowledge on these machines.
The military version also had a free flowing muffler which can be identified by the single pipe in the rear, as opposed to the 20+ pinholes in the stock muffler. This muffler also extends forward as far as the carb. Also a 15 tooth clutch was used (stock=17). Not only did this give better torque and take off power but it also gave it a higher top end. I know that it sounds crazy but the lower gearing allowed that little Power Bee to reach a higher RPM. I own 4 of them 2 stock and 2 military (minus the larger seat and white paint). The engine is bullet -proof and has been in production for 40+ years check out these sites .. Home US 610 and US 820 Engines and Parts at billsvintagekartengines.com United States Motor Power, Inc. They are a blast to ride, sometimes a little "twitchey" at speed and like mini bikes everyone loves them. The Dr.

thin gasket

I bought a like new snorunner with the gasket mod & tho it had enough power
it ended up overheating . I was having a fantastic ride thru 12" of fresh snow & I know it was naughty but in only 10 minute at top speed it seized.

I am thinking a more modern 4 stroke with higher low end torque to keep temp down without requiring max rpm .
Plus I think it would be quieter-

what do you think?

Sieve

My uncle actually did alot of work on his snow runner. Gave it a "lift" kit, Also changed to a ski to a wider one. Ill see if I can get pics.

HEY HEY YOU CAN GET A START ON ONE THERE IS A PERFECT SNOW RUNNER SEAT FOR SALE IN THE PARTS FOR SALE SECTION ,,, HELP GET A KIDD A MINI BIKE FOR XMAS :xmas-smiley-016::xmas-smiley-016::deal::deal:

I have one that has essentially zero hours. I got it from an airline pilot [brand new] who bought a bunch of them --probably a freight depot deal at the airport. This was back in the eighties. These machines do not run well in heavy [wet]snow,and my 240 Lb brother broke the jackshaft sprocket because of this.. I drained the gas out of it,so as not to foul the tank,and stored it in a lower cabinet in a dry woodworking shop. The orange paint is just about perfect,but the flat black that Chrysler put on the engine areas will rub off if you just look at it cross-eyed,so the aluminum shines thru in little spots.
Last year,I put a little premix in the fuel line in the detach fitting[to keep the tank clean],and it started and ran on the second pull. I was thinking of leaving the front ski alone and building a tire powered rear end for the thing. It seems that if an engine would pull a ski track,it would certainly turn a tire pretty easily.
I have a ton of stuff to do before I have surgery on Monday,but I will check back here when I can.If these machines are worth a lot as is,maybe the tire modification thing is not such a good idea?

I just picked up one of these. It has the performance exhaust. I need to get the thinner head gasket yet and 15t clutch. Should be a fun ride this coming winter.