Arnold Hot Dog Muffler Sucks!

Harquebus

Within 5 minutes of running the engine, the lovely zinc plating started peeling off. :(

I had rebuilt an old Craftsman tiller with a 5 horse Briggs and added an Arnold® M-110 "sausage"/"hot dog" muffler along with a 45° pipe elbow.
It discolored a bit (as expected) but started flaking in the first 5 minutes of run time, some of it from the inside too as it was blown out with the exhaust. I guess this is what Made in China gets you.

I know these were designed to screw right into the exhaust port but maybe if it was installed further downstream at the end of a 10-11" pipe, it might have remained purty. Functionally it's still ok, but it's just a bummer.

Sausage 1.jpg Sausage 2.jpg

Harquebus

It may look like "chrome paint" but it was super shiny (almost chrome) before I woke that engine up again. It actually takes a polish well and mimics chrome, but it got dull and flaked from the heat real quick as you see in the pics.

I bet there's some ones out there that were done/dipped right....somewhere

Fisher1983

It may look like "chrome paint" but it was super shiny (almost chrome) before I woke that engine up again. It actually takes a polish well and mimics chrome, but it got dull and flaked from the heat real quick as you see in the pics.

I bet there's some ones out there that were done/dipped right....somewhere
PrimeLine makes one that doesn't flake. I've used those in the past....I got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts.

I remember getting calls about this weekly at OldMiniBikes. Those mufflers are like 10 bucks. That coating is merely a corrosion preventative for shipping and box life purposes. Anyone who has ever had an exhaust coated or painted for high heat resistance would know it isn't cheap. The cost would have to be about $30-35 for the muffler to sell it with that process.