Baja MB200

I hear you NOS and grasp it completely. My wife works for a global engineering firm and she is over safety just for the office. She comes home with some of the most thoughtless actions safety wise that her engineers pull off just in the office. I can only imagine these same guys on the job site...

I spent a few years teaching auto mechanics both at the high school level and at the technical college. Now there is a place that keeps you on your toes. I have seen batteries explode when hooking up a battery charger in an old Volkswagen, which is bad enough until you realize that it is inside the car under the rear seat.... I have seen the kids put a car in gear to bump the motor over so they could set the points and then after they put it together, they crank it to see it run and it takes off across the shop. They got it stopped just before it ran out of room.

I don't have a safety sheet to fill out but I work in my home shop by myself 99 percent of the time. I am constantly aware of things happening ahead of time. Trying to not get hurt. I have a big building and have pallet rack storage, a fork lift, scissor lift, lots of grinding and cutting tools, a lathe, a mill, anything you could want to weld with or cut with including a plasma, 3 2 post lifts and not to mention the usual hazards that can trip you or fall on you..... So I am very aware that I am all alone and might not be able to get help if I get hurt. I have a Ferris zero turn mower with a 33.5 horse Caterpillar diesel that weighs 2400 pounds. I cut 8 acres with it and am always aware of it getting on an unstable surface. I see way to many zero turns with the ROPS removed or folded down and it is just spooky to me. Seems everything I do contains a chance of getting hurt by varying degrees of severity. It keeps me aware of my surroundings that's for sure.

I have never been in the F... it and somebody else might get injured or killed job situation like you describe. Doesn't sound like a place that many people can take command of and always do the right thing. Sounds like you have a full and total grasp of it though. I don't envy being in your shoes.

Maybe I have been a little closer to your job than I realized. I restore cars and I don't cut any corners on any part of the job. Everything about it is a safety thing to me. I suggest that the car be upgraded with disc brakes and radial tires so that it is at least close to the level of the traffic you will be driving it in. Drums brakes were just fine when every car on the road had drum brakes....

Last edited: