Baldwin Trail Cycle project

I recently picked up this early Baldwin, my buddy I got it from thought it was a Tote Gote but thanks to Richard Trotter he helped me id it as a Baldwin. It was in surprisingly good shape considering it's over 60 years old. It did have a Briggs in it but missing parts so I'm going with a Honda clone for now. Put on new tires, replaced the rear axle and wheel bearings (luckily Stens had the exact replacement) and now waiting for new jackshaft pieces and clutch to come in.
I was glad to find this website and be able to draw on everyone's knowledge of these old mini bikes.

Attachments

You could go with a solid HS50 5hp Tecumseh, lots parts available reliable Engine looks the part easy to get
I haven't started looking for any vintage motors yet, I'll keep my eye out for a Tecumseh though, thanks. Keeping an eye on the ads for old reel lawn mowers and edgers, they seem to be a good source for period correct motors.
As for the other parts I have the original jackshaft but it was set up for a v belt from the engine to the shaft. I've got a new jackshaft and sprockets coming from Azusa so should be running next week. I haven't modified anything in the frame so I can always go back to the stock set up. Looking forward to tooling around on it, gearing is super low so it should do good on our steeper trails on our property.

Lizardking

Hello and welcome to the place where all vintage mini bike searches lead to!!

What parts are missing on the Briggs and what's the hp? Instead of a clutch look into a torque converter and use the original jack shaft. You'll need it if you want to ride steep trails.

What parts are missing on the Briggs and what's the hp? Instead of a clutch look into a torque converter and use the original jack shaft. You'll need it if you want to ride steep trails.
I haven't done much research on the B&S yet. I matched the clutch tooth and jackshaft input sprocket tooth count based on old pulley sizes. It will have a 10t clutch, 50t input on jackshaft, a 12t output on the js and a 60t rear sprocket, gear reduction is a little over 20:1 and top speed at 3200 rpms will be 7 mph so I think it will climb ok !
One problem on the motor that came with it is someone welded the clutch to the crank.

Last edited: