Bent flywheel on CT70

Hey guys I bought a 77' CT70 and it has a bent flywheel. Previous owner pulled it with the wrong puller. Magnet catches on part of the magneto. Just wondering if a shop could bent and straighten it back out and if thats possible.

Hey guys I bought a 77' CT70 and it has a bent flywheel. Previous owner pulled it with the wrong puller. Magnet catches on part of the magneto. Just wondering if a shop could bent and straighten it back out and if thats possible.
The tapered crankshaft end where the flywheel bolts on is fairly malleable (easy to bend). Are you sure its the flywheel, and not the crankshaft, that is bent?

How I know this: during the building of several different Honda stator testers, several crankshaft ends were liberated and machined to fit shafting that can be spun with an electric motor drive. All the CT90, S90, C70, CT70, SL70, and other small single and twin Honda motorcycle crankshafts are easily bent and machined.

Side note: straightened two freebie, bent cranks by placing shims under the flywheel on the low side, torquing the flywheel down to bend the crankshaft, and by over-correcting a little bit, when the pressure was eased off I got a nice straight crankshaft. These repaired cranks were NOT run in an engine again, I cut the flywheel end off and used the tapers (and flywheels) to build stator testers.

Neither have failed, and both have seen 10,000 RPM for a time.

Side note 2: I have never seen anyone bend a Honda flywheel, not saying it cannot be done, no Sir, just that the crank seems much easier to ruin and it is worth at least checking.

Jon

It's hard to tell which one is bent. It looks like the flywheel is bent but its hard to tell by eye. By kicking the motor over, the crank does look straight but its hard to keep the bike from moving to see if theres a bit of a wobble. I just don't know whether to buy a used flywheel or a crank to test which one it is.
The tapered crankshaft end where the flywheel bolts on is fairly malleable (easy to bend). Are you sure its the flywheel, and not the crankshaft, that is bent?

How I know this: during the building of several different Honda stator testers, several crankshaft ends were liberated and machined to fit shafting that can be spun with an electric motor drive. All the CT90, S90, C70, CT70, SL70, and other small single and twin Honda motorcycle crankshafts are easily bent and machined.

Side note: straightened two freebie, bent cranks by placing shims under the flywheel on the low side, torquing the flywheel down to bend the crankshaft, and by over-correcting a little bit, when the pressure was eased off I got a nice straight crankshaft. These repaired cranks were NOT run in an engine again, I cut the flywheel end off and used the tapers (and flywheels) to build stator testers.

Neither have failed, and both have seen 10,000 RPM for a time.

Side note 2: I have never seen anyone bend a Honda flywheel, not saying it cannot be done, no Sir, just that the crank seems much easier to ruin and it is worth at least checking.

Jon

I have rebuilt many 70 & 90 overheads that were basket cases but have never seen a bent flywheel. Have seen cranks and bent rods due to timing chain failures. :shrug: Good luck.