Bent Forks!!!

07D675

What is going on with all the bent forks on these minibikes? I see SO many old minibikes people are buying and more times than not the forks are bent.
I had 2 myself and it was'nt easy to straighten them. Kids playing with alcohol back in the day I suppose... :eek:ut::censure::repuke:

kbs8ball

It may have something to do with the awesome stopping power of most minis.
I like the ones that are all mashed in with fresh paint on em. :eek:ut:

Most minibikes are made from 1" 0r .75" mild steel tubing and designed for riders not exceeding 150 pounds. After all, they were originally intended for kids, but more and more adults couldn't stay off them. Coupled with spirtied riding, pot holes, jumping curbs, and the constant flexing and not to mention rust, these mild steel tubes don't have a chance. And the engineering for these forks doesn't really lend itself to distribute the load over a larger area. Actually, the lower tri brace puts an inordinate amount of force on the fork in a very small area, and the welding also weakens the tube considerably. It is what it is.

As for straightening them out, I found a hydralic press and some strategically placed 2x4's will straighten them out in no time. The bad news is that once straightened, it is now weaker than before and it will mostly be prone to bending again. If you are going to use the bike with over capacity riders, the best way is to reinforce the fork with thicker tubes or even chromoly. Good luck.

07D675

Good theories. Maybe if I end up designing my own eventually, I'll use thicker wall tubing. I was'nt lucky enough to own a mini as a kid so I DO intend to ride all of the ones my son and I have now. I only weigh in at around 165-170 pounds so they should hold my load! :thumbsup: