bigger tires on the new DB30???

I'd like to find an older larger mini bike for myself to ride, but I'm pondering as well building a new one. I'm considering buying a new model DB30, because that what is available new in the stores here now. Thing is they are so small for me.

Having said that, I'm thinking of getting a new DB, pulling the motor in favor of a 6.5 clone, so power wise I'd be good. What I'm wondering is, are there any options out there to put larger off road tires on the DB rims? Nothing huge, just tires that raise it up a few inches and still fit in the forks and frame. I'm thinking too of adding a J/S kit on it to offset the taller tires. That and bending the handles forward so the new model won't be so cramped.

Any of you guys ever add taller/bigger off-road tires to your DB's?

Last edited:
At 6" wide you start to run into brake caliper/tire sidewall clearence issues. It is also hard to find wider, taller tires tires for the 6" rim. You could go to an 8" rim and see. At about 16.5 tall the old style bug runs into diameteric clearance issues-but a shaved bolt with a half nut might get you a bit more room. I settled for 15/6/6 and I run Turf Saver, if you ever cross maintained grass you'll keep the peace. It's a fairly good OHV tire.

I think 16.5 addresses the taller part. It's also hard to get taller with out putting up with wider that's the way they make them. For off road your bennifited by a max contact patch and so taller and wider is what works.
PS -The turf savers are a square type profile and you can run an 80 tooth rear sprocket and not scrape it-this then compensates for the extra rolling circumference-but I'd still jack shaft with one that's a quick change and suit my terrain. Round knobbies have their pros and cons too but I run a turf saver and I am happy. It's not the best in deep powder stuff (sand and road dust) or deep mud.

I found a guy on youtube that had some big tires on his doodle-bug.
They looked real good, like they were made for the bike and fenders.
I asked him what size & type of tires they were and he didn't get back to me.:shrug:

You can always drill out the axle tabs and run aftermarket wheels, you'd lose the disc brake but there are other braking systems.

I dont understand why you'd want a tiny minibike made for little kids that you have to toss the engine, cut the fender hoop off, and have to bend the handlebars just to be able to put a bigger engine and have room to ride. I'd at least get an older model to avoid all these headaches. That and the old ones have proven to be an awesome platform for mods, the new one just was'nt made for modifying. I believe it was done intentionally but that's another story!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

My intentions if I go this route is to build a mini trail bike and try to make the DB a bit "bigger" if you know what I mean. We have a lot of 4 wheeler trails around my place and thats where we will be riding. Not planning extreme off-road riding, just some mild hills, dirt, grass and some mud trails (not too deep)...just putting around and having some fun on them.

Dudly...do you have any pics of yours?

Is there a good online source for 15/6/6 tires...some treads with some bite?

I'm still not positive I should try to make a "bigger" DB for myself or just start shopping for something like an old tote gote and go from there...been thinking about doing that too.

Here's a photo of the bike the night I put on the front shocks.
The rear tire is a 15/6/6 and the front has not yet been changed in the shot. The chain gaurds are off to show the jackshaft set up. You'll notice the seat install is a tad crude, I had to re-do it several times to get it worked out right so it was not the best in 'Finnish" but--it really works good and has stood up to all kinds of punishment. I'll change that soon as it is getting a swinging arm set up and then a paint job. It runs 13 to 1 gear ratio and has climbed the Rockies-the air bleed on the carb makes changing for altiuded much simpliler than installing a jet. It is green stickered and I take it to OHV playgrounds-it fits into the back of my minivan so my street bike can ride on the bumper rack and only weights 80 pounds. Look for my new thread maybe as soon as tonight in the projects section "Project DB30" I'm putting a bilit rod in and upping the compression to 8 to 1 should give 4.5 HP and still be a low end rpm motor perfect for off road. Many vendors for 15/6/6 try HF get it $20-some like round knobbies instead of Turf Saver.