Black Widow production numbers and range.

Hi, I’m trying to narrow down the number of Rupp Black Widows built..I think it was approximately 4000 bikes.. starting with 1-200001 to1-204000.. the lowest verified tag I have seen is 1-200520 and the highest is
1-203661... does anyone have a bike earlier or higher than these? Let’s see if we can narrow this down.
Thanks.

This is a BW roller that I bought from the original dealer last year that he had never sold. It was a donor bike. The line tag was still under the seat, build date on this was 5-6-71. Its about 300 before your last number, but it gives you a rough idea on build dates.
20180406_151427.jpg

Attachments

cfh

Your production numbers may be slanted a bit. The JC Penny Swinger also has number inside your black widow range. Here's a Swinger i own...

Your production numbers may be slanted a bit. The JC Penny Swinger also has number inside your black widow range. Here's a Swinger i own...

The difference is that the 1 on Black Widows is for the year.. Swinger series started at 1 million that’s why there is no gap after the 1

So here is a question to the group, does anyone know of any B/W serial number decals that have the red Rupp circle in the black square other than the early C-xxxxxx serial number decals? My theory is that they may be the all silver decals on B/W's. The Swinger trail's seem to have the black square and no space between the first and second digits. Please include photos, so we can eliminate reproduction decals. I really enjoy this type of research
on one of Rupp's most revered and sought after minibikes.

Hi, I’m trying to narrow down the number of Rupp Black Widows built..I think it was approximately 4000 bikes.. starting with 1-200001 to1-204000.. the lowest verified tag I have seen is 1-200520 and the highest is
1-203661... does anyone have a bike earlier or higher than these? Let’s see if we can narrow this down.
Thanks.
Hi Bob, Have another B/W serial number to add to the list. 1 204073 bwserial.jpg bwserial.jpg

GustoGuy

Hi Bob, Have another B/W serial number to add to the list. 1 204073 View attachment 249850 View attachment 249850

The biggest problem was throwing a rod due to poor connecting rod and no governor to limit wide open throttle.
I seen the 1971 Rupp catalog which was posted online by a forum member which stated that No warranty was offered on the Blackwidow model and maybe quite a few of them thrown rods right away so actual survivor bikes are so rare today and engine failures could have contributed to Rupp deciding to discontinue the Black Widow bike after just 1 model year.

cfh

I don't think you can determine build date from the Rupp serial number. most guys have that info because they have the original paperwork that came with the bike. Motor date yes, but that doesn’t tell you the bike date, if that’s what you wanted.

Last edited: