Bonanza Drag Bike

Hey guys. It’s been a long while since I posted. Life got in the way of me finishing my project, but I’m back and ready to finally finish this build. Back story: I was given this frame and forks by slywilliez about 6 years ago. The intent was to use a Honda CR80 2stroke for power, but it never panned out because the entire engine was way worse for wear. The frame (BC900 or 1000 hardtail?) was to be raked and rear wheel extended back. The frame work was completed before the project stalled due to the engine. And then it sat. Fast forward to today and she’s out of the barn and back into the garage. I stripped everything down, primed, and put on three coats of single stage custom mix “Bonanza Blue”. Now I’m just hanging out and watching paint dry. Hopefully tomorrow will be finishing the color sand and buff, and then on to assembly and buying more parts!

Attachments

Last edited:
Today’s update: Paint is dry and looks good to me as is, so I think I’ll skip the color sand and buff for the time being. Decide to work on getting some reassembly done so that I can figure out what more is needed for parts and check the final post paint fit. Everything went back together nicely except for some wheelie bar adjustment which will be done once it’s on the ground and ready to run. I’m not going to lie to you guys, seeing it all reassembled in paint makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside:laugh: I scored a Vintage seat that I need to pick up, as well as a 6” Go Power for the front, and a stock 4x8 round tank that just needs a little love to be put into service. Can’t wait for new shiny parts to show up:thumbsup:

Attachments

Here’s Saturday’s update: I payed a visit to Bill (slywilliez) and picked up a few parts, one of which is a seat that’s in pretty good condition. The only hurdle to overcome was that there was paint overpray on the top and one side of the vinyl cover. I decided to start working to see if I could remove the paint without damaging the seat cover. A whole lot easier said then done! I tried numerous products from ordinary dish soap to Goo Gone, but it became apparent that the paint had been there for a while and was really bonded to the surface. I ended up using a trick that ended up working so well,I figured id share if any of you guys end up in the same situation. You need three things, the first being ordinary hand sanitizer. Just the dollar store stuff works fine. The second is a pack of very fine steel wool, and the third is something to wipe off all the goop. I used a microfiber towel. Start slow and move up in aggressiveness until you achieve the desired results. My paint wouldn’t come off by simply soaking the seat with hand sanitizer, so I spread more sanitizer over it and very gently started buffing with steel wool. The key here is to go slow and have patience. In no time at all the overspray was gone and I’m left with a very original looking seat. A quick wipe with some vinyl protectand to soften the cover back up and it’s ready to go on the bike! One word of caution as you probably know is that the protectant makes the seat very slick. I’m going to leave it to soak for a day or so and then buff it off with a dry cloth.

Attachments

So lastnight and today I got the tank sealed and painted, so I decided to start working on an exhaust since I has to be able to clear the tank. Since i couldn’t find an off the shelf exhaust that I liked, I decided to build my own. Found an old Honda exhaust in my barn and started chopping it up. The pics show the final mock-up before welding. Bonus that it’s stainless so it should hold up well. Now to start welding!

Attachments

Got a lot done today. Exhaust is tacked and ready to be finish welded. Had a few color combos in my head for the engine, and I decided on doing the block, head, and side cover in wrinkle black as a nod to the old street Hemi valve covers. For the flywheel housing I went with a refrigerator white to look like an old Tecumseh. I’m liking it so far

Attachments

It’s been a few since I’ve had time to post, but the bike is coming along really well. Fuel tank is mounted up, engine is in for the final time, jackshaft is in an ready for sprockets, and wheelie bar is adjusted to a good starting point.

Attachments

Bike looks great!
What are you using for brakes?

Wheelie bar adjustment is going to be key, my bike is only 100ft bike but is up on the bars the entire time. Getting it so the bars do not unload the rear wheel can be tricky. Trial and error though, you’ll get there.

Love the colors on the engine too nice job

Thank you sir! I’m planning on doing a clutch brake for now because of a lack of room for an axle mounted drum. I actually got the sprockets and chain on it this morning and went for a little ride just to check everything out and make sure it all functions. As it sits, I doesn’t pull hard enough to bring the front wheel up. I can tell the clutch is killing it because it engages way to soon and too low in the rpm range. I had my doubts about the clutch, but it was free so I figured I’d try it. I may need to look into something different. My final drive is at 4.16:1 so I may have to make that a bit steeper too. All in all though, it all works like it should. I’ll post some pics up later of the (mostly) finished product.

Around here the fast guys seem to like Bully multi disc clutches they are adjustable I think. My Dad uses a Titan clutch that came stock with the world formula engine, there are different springs available to adjust the engagement, you can lighten the clutch shoes, etc.
there are definitely ways to achieve your goal. Has the engine run on a dyno? Do you know where you want to launch at yet?
I think that depends on when the cam starts making power?

It hasn’t been on the dyno. Right now it’s a box stock Hemi predator with the governor tuned to go as high as possible, a few minor carb tricks, an open header, a k&n air filter setup, and some very mild porting. Internally it’s stock. The plan is to a billet flywheel and rod, get the compression up as high as I can without a custom piston, and most likely a .275 cam or maybe a .308 and springs with either. I know all that stuff is going to make it want higher rpm, so that brings me back to my clutch lol. I’ll have to look more at a Bully. I only briefly scanned through them a while back. It may very well be my answer.