Bought a classic motorcycle... woohoo

OK, so I finally got my classic enduro

I was having a bad day in my search, An XT 550 I had my eye on was sold, I drove 100 miles to look at a '76 Elsinore, which didn't even run, the ad said it did. Oh well.... Then, I came home, opened my local search page and found a '78 Yamaha DT 400, in good shape for $450. I called instantly, and got there just in time to snag it, 2 other guys were calling. The bike hadn't been run for a while, but it fired on the first kick, ran good, everything works except the blinkers, (they just don't blink). So, I am very happy. Tomorrow, I get to clean her up a bit, drain the oil tank, fuel tank and gear box, new oil, fuel, check some things out, and I can go riding... vroom.

I'm glad to hear it.... GOD I hate when they flat out LIE about something they are trying to sell..... BUT $450 for what you have is a GREAT buy if you actually plan on driving the bike every day like you said earlier...... a BIG bike is a lot more comfortable on the long trip... I think the 250 Honda would hold up against this bike door lock to door lock through the lights, and all day long.... BUT it was 500 cheaper and is a fine bike either way. I had a 400 Yamaha and it RIPPED for low end torque... Not so scary top end speed.... about the same as a 175 Kawasaki...... but MAN I tell ya what... first and second gear was a killer. :thumbsup:

Lets see it. Have you checked the crank seals on it, I seen those old Yamaha 2 stroke have cracks in the crank seals and they let air into the crankshaft causing the engine to lean out and score the piston up. Other than that sounds like a nice find, I missed out getting a clean 74 DT 360 locally a few years ago. I stop and look at it on my drive home from work and when got home and went to the bank to get the money to buy it, I called the guy and he said he sold it already.