Bought an CT200U-EX

Ok so here is where we are… I went camping over spring break and saw a few folks putting around on these little bikes. I thought that would be cool. So I started searching marketplace for a candidate. Found a couple around the area we were camping but could not land a deal. So I came home.
IMG_1512.jpeg Found this EX… kid said it ran but wouldn’t stay running. And as you can see the front tire was not seated on the rim. I told him to put fresh gas, get it to run and I would come get it Saturday.

Went an hour from home and sure it ran but not well. I thought it just needed to be “blown out”. Brought it home, reseated the front tire and fired it up. It ran but not well.

I pressure washed the whole thing to get all the gunk off and started to tear into the carburetor to see if I could get it right. After an hour of frustration I started researching problems. The one thing that kept jumping out at me was the predator engine swap. So I pulled the old 196 and bought a 224 (coupon for $149).
IMG_1510.jpeg It was a simple swap… I even pulled the generator packs and the old fly wheel to make sure the headlight worked. So now I have a very nice little scoot. Excited to take it camping next time.

A little pointer I learned from the swap is that if you drill little holes in the bottom of the seat and insert the grommets from the breather you can mount it securely under the seat using the grommets that came in the rear shield that had to be removed.
IMG_1513.jpeg
Did I miss anything?

Does it still have a clutch? A torque converter is a pretty good bang for your buck and may be a better option for you.

Do you know if the previous owner jumped the bike?
Check the wheel and neck tube bearings?
Check frame welds for cracks?
Inspect rear drum and brake pads?

Standard wear items are pretty inexpensive. Buy some sooner rather than later. Those chinese bearings can be a little skimpy on the grease.

Have fun with it. :)

Does it still have a clutch? A torque converter is a pretty good bang for your buck and may be a better option for you.

Do you know if the previous owner jumped the bike?
Check the wheel and neck tube bearings?
Check frame welds for cracks?
Inspect rear drum and brake pads?

Standard wear items are pretty inexpensive. Buy some sooner rather than later. Those chinese bearings can be a little skimpy on the grease.

Have fun with it. :)
It does still have a clutch. I read about the TC’s and may do that at some point.
I didn’t think about swapping bearings. Do you know sizes of bearings? I have looked over bike for cracks and none are to be found. I will pull apart rear brake and check brakes. By the looks of the tires and considering it is a 2018 I don’t think they rode it too much

Triley41395

It does still have a clutch. I read about the TC’s and may do that at some point.
I didn’t think about swapping bearings. Do you know sizes of bearings? I have looked over bike for cracks and none are to be found. I will pull apart rear brake and check brakes. By the looks of the tires and considering it is a 2018 I don’t think they rode it too much
When you pull the rear wheel to check the brakes, go ahead and just change the bearings. I'm not sure of the size for that bike but they will be metric, and as Jim said definitely repack grease in the NEW ones.