breaking in an engine

whats the best way to break in an engine? like the 6.5 hf engine or any other kinda engine. idk if its all the same or if you do it different for each different type of engine or hp. thanks

RobK

I suspect this is one of those questions that will get you a hundred different answers - don't use synthetic, use synthetic, baby it, run the crap out of it. Everybody has a different opinion. I suppose I would drain the first run oil after an hour or so to remove any residue. On a stock engine, I'd refill it up with fresh oil and just run it as neccessary. On a performance rebuild with no governor I think I'd avoid long periods of full throttle a while. I'm sure somebody will pipe up with more specifics.

This is just my opinion, but for a brand new engine out of the box, run non-synthetic for your first run, and let the engine run at idle speed for a while to warm up and to seat the rings. Race it up a bit a couple times, adjust the carburetor to how you like it, drain the oil, and replace the non-synthetic with synthetic, and you're ready to go.

toomanytoys

Me a normal stock engine. I run regular sae30 oil in it. Warm it up to operating temp ride it for an hour then cool down change oil with sae30 again and ride the crap out of it.

JamnJM

Do a search on here as every week this question comes up.....IMO remove side cover and clean and check for left over burrs on crank / rod first....