Briggs 5.5hp Carburetor Recommendations?

DaddyJohn

A Mikuni VM22 or clone of one would be pretty good. Not sure if intakes are readily available to fit off the shelf or not…

Minimichael

For a 5.5hp, I'd go with a 24 or 26mm. And it depends on what kind of riding you want to do. Like balls out racing, or over hither and yonder?

Minimichael

I actually bought a VM22 but the intake manifold didn’t fit. Put it in my GX160 instead.
Oh I just realized you are working with an OHC Briggs. I only recommended 24 and 26 mm carbs from a flathead point of view, and don't know enough about the other to comment...

joshua. c.

If you swap the carb don't forget to add the billet rod and billet flywheel and to remove govenrnor parts. You don't need to turn the motor into a granade sitting between your legs.

joshua. c.

The briggs animal in stock form uses a walburo pz22 and the base engine it's designed around is the one you have so something around a 22 may be a good starting point. The Animal's more powerfull brother the world formula uses a walburo pz26 so that size may be good after some mods.

Thanks!
I’ve found a few 22 carbs. And I actually have a VM22. But I can’t seem to find an intake manifold that fits the motor and the carb. I assume there’s going to be some fabrication involved.

joshua. c.

Try a stock animal intake. I used one of those to adapt a vm22 to my tecumseh 5hp ohv. On the intake's carb side it has a slotted hole on one side, so it fits the offset holes on the Mikuni.