briggs 5hp flathead help

Thepaetsguy

I had been a moderator of another forum.
Whenever a new member would sign up, moderators would check their IP address against those of known troublemakers.
The troublemaker with the new ID would never get to post.
Can’t they just change it?? maybe It was just my internet.. I used to be big into console Linux and messing around mostly on Sony systems to hack multiplayer games online. I couldn’t use any of the developers paid real time mod tools on my home internet due to my IP address constantly changing. The login key was set for one ip address only. Once my ip changed my key would get flagged and locked because it was logged in under sometimes 3 or 4 different ip’s.. They thought I was sharing my login key with multiple people.

Call me ignorant, but I thought your IP address came from your service provider. Like, as long as you were using that account, your IP was the same. That was 20 years ago, last time I messed around with running a web site.

Triley41395

So this guy is a scammer but is otherwise acting normal, asking normal engine questions in the engine forum?

Weird stuff.
Not really weird, it's all part of their scam. They try to make everyone think they are just another newbie trying to learn. I've seen it on other forums, this piece of trash probably scams more than just a minibike sites. Unfortunately scammers have been around forever selling their "Snake Oil"
For most of them it's a cycle, mom's trash...dad's trash...kids turn out to be trash...just a bunch of trash.

The crankshafts are not all identical or interchangeable. You need a crankshaft that matches your specific engine. There's two basic types, regardless if it is supported by (one or two) ball bearings or plain bearings only:

1. The old style crank has an extension that the old style starter clutch rides on (the all metal starter clutch/ratchet with the balls inside).
2. The new(er) style crank lacks this extension and uses a cup starter on the crank/flywheel. The starter mechanism in the blower cover is totally different and uses plastic pawls that deploy to engage notches formed on the inside of the steel cup, and this in turn turns the engine over.

The bearing style has to match too, or you may install a ball bearing crank inside a plain bearing block, which won't work.

Please post the engine code numbers inscribed on your blower cover. The number for a 5 HP usually starts with 130XXX. Hopefully it is the original blower cover, sometimes they are not. With those numbers, one can find an illustrated parts list that will depict which crankshaft and/or part number is correct for the engine.

Post good photos of your current crankshaft too so the forum can determine if the threads can be restored or if it is a lost cause.
Everything worked out fine using a old 1965 block that was original to my cat bike it had the long starter bolt an plain pto side I then got a newer briggs funpower engine with locked up intake valve, the crank was good with a bearing on the pto side I left the stock piston in place swapped the short bolt starter crank on the old 1965 block an put the bearing pto side on it,the timing marks where hard to line up because the bearing is in the way of seeing the mark but it fired right upI no professional just a fan

Attachments