Can some one help? Please...

this is really kicking my but.. first found that the previous owner had the clutch and drive sprocket on backwards.. (referenced some pics on here to verifiy) now chain and rear sprocket are better aligned.. but can someone give me a good reference on how to properly mounting the rear axle on this thing? its killing me.. I either can't get the drum brake to catch the retaining post or when i do get it spaced and snugged down the wheel wont spin at all. right now i am using washers to space out from the right hub to the mounting tab.. I have some spacers too but i will have to grind them down they are all too long or short plan was to get it shimmed with washers and measure.. i dunno :shrug:

Thanks everyone.

Are you using a nut on each side of the frame tab? Your rear wheel is held in the frame by the nuts on each side of the frame tab. There is no "load" thru the bearings.

Like useng1 mentioned, the bearings are not made to carry a lateral load. That is why the bearing registers are normally tore up on these vintage bikes. And or the bearings wear out quick.
On a bike with slotted axle mounts you need to either pinch the axle with two nut's or cut a spacer for inside the wheel that will ride on each bearing and carry the load so you can tighten the wheel.
With the Honda type brake like you have, sometimes the backing plate will push on the drum and lock up when you tighten the wheel. A good bearing or even a shim between the brake and the drum will keep that from happening.

no. I am using the axle that came with it and looks similar to this. OldMiniBikes.com - Discount & Replacement Mini Bike Parts

I am not sure but if i were to use a nut on each side of the tab i definately wouldn't have clearance for the brake drum to fit into the retaining post. I do see your point however about the axle being locked in place with that method.
It might also be the spacing in between your brake hub assembly and the the wheel bearings them self. If that space is not deep enough for the internal axle hub parts to come together other stuff will hit first... Brake shoes pushed horizontally into the face of the drum, or outer brake hub pinched against the brake drum....

If you take the wheel off and assemble it in your hands.... Can you lay the brake hub in your hand and place the wheel into brake hub, with the axle ran through it like it all belongs in the bike... and SPIN the wheel in your hand by holding the brake hub, and MAKE FOR SURE that the wheel IS spinning on it's bearings correctly WITHOUT something rubbing? :shrug: That will happen and need to have a washer or shim of some kind to push them apart so the offending part no longer rubs wherever it is rubbing...

YOU ALSO need to keep in mind when building axles to make SURE that whatever washer or shim you use in spacing parts DOES NOT rub on the face of the wheel bearing itself... :doah: The very inner most piece of the wheel bearing is the ONLY PART of the bearing, wheel, and any other moving parts that is allowed to make contact with another bushing, shim, washer, frame.. any NON MOVING parts..

You have to make sure the pieces that are supposed to be stationary and bolted tight.. DO NOT make contact with any of the pieces that roll and move.. :thumbsup:

ANOTHER THING that will bind up is the bearing it self being over tightened.... :glare: MANY wheels do not have a bushing as a spacer IN BETWEEN the two different wheel bearings... :doah: Sp even if you have all of your spacing built correctly and everything works beautifully... When you tighten down the axle, the guts of the bearings get pushed out of whack, and causes it to bind... :glare: