Canada's Laws are Fxxxed up

Mean Dean

I gave a friend of mine who lives in Windsor, Ontario a Ruttman Spyder and they would not let it in. He is on his way back to me now to drop it back off. They said they would not let the frame in. You Canadian guys are in trouble.

Because you need a title to prove it is not stolen.

Rules are very specific.
You can not brings ANY motorized vehicle into Canada you may have bought in the USA or any place else without a Vin or some serial number that identifies the unit and some sort of paper work to prove who sold it too you.

this applies to boats, Go-kart, cars air planes you name it....

Some exceptions of course for racing and antiques but you need paper work from Canada boarder services fill in.

Much of the paper work is for political reasons too.

In general you fellows south of the boarder wear your cars out.
ours tend to rust out because of road salt......

A solid worn out US car becomes a glider kit in Canada where engines and parts are cheap...
Canadian safety standards are different and they like to use that as an excuse...
A used 2 year old Canadian car tends to be cheaper in depending on the currency exchange rate so they fly south.
But a 5 or 6 year old US car here could be cheaper and the size of the US market would depress sued car prices.

All this adds up to make car prices in Canada higher in our dollar than yours.
The car dealer ( new and used ) like to push to keep you stuff out and keep prices high for fatter margins.

Lots of reasons why Canadians are grumpy about vehicles.
A new truck in the USA is always cheaper south of the boarder than on the same lot here.
Ya it pisses us off in ways you would not believe.

Last edited:
Just mail it to him and tell customs it's a shelf.. :laugh:

Although just going across the border is like 47 dollars per pound, plus 800 dollar taxes..

Last edited:

Bikerscum

The US government actually negotiated those laws to keep minibikes from leaving the country.

In exchange, we pay a huge tax on Canadian bacon.

It all works out.

It is messed up because Canada can import Nissan Skylines 15 yrs or older, but the US they have to be 25yrs or older?
Talk about politics...
I ordered 2 magnets from the US...they have been stuck in customs for 3weeks now...hope they messed up their scanners because they were rare earth magnets...:)

:laugh: I mailed a box to Australia once, a few times actually.. But this one time, I am filling out the customs form, and the guy that runs the joint, who I rabble rabble anti government views to and stuff here and there.. The real strait upstanding knows everything educated clean cut SUPER mellow, just middle class TOTAL nerd true working class perfect slave-bot guy, ya know??

Says..

"Rite here ya gotta put your description, or they will ASUME it's a bomb" :mellow:

I was friggin rollin.. :lol:

like.. I don't know how to describe the guy even.. just NO emotion or sense of humor or anything ever.. One monotone real chill "I don't have to talk cuz I got a 200 IQ" :laugh: but ASK and I know everything about everything.. A lot of people think he's a total dick, but he's just a slave-bot, ya know? :laugh: I call him "The Oracle"

But for him to make that particular joke and be just a spit it out in his one monotone

............search query results = US Customs form - field - 6...........

"Rite here ya gotta fill out a description, or they'll amuse it's a bomb"

:lol: :lol:

I have more trouble crossing into the US than coming back home

Last year the US Border guy didnt know what to do with us , Ron and I had 8 bikes loaded on the truck and trailer his biggest concern was that we were taking them into the US to sell but ended up letting us go thru

We stop on our side first and get a form that lists all our bikes and personel electronics ect so that we can bring it back acrossed

It seems to me the biggest concern is that the tax and duty gets paid

A bill of sale should be enough

Even if it was a free gift I would have a receipt made up and expect to pay

It sucks but if you play by their rules it is much easier

When I saw this post I sent Dean a PM. Now I will show you what I use to cross the border and have used these for years with no problem. They were originally called Customs Bond Cards. Anything I plan on taking back and forth to the US I take to a Customs office which are at all borders. I have a stack of blank cards which I fill out with a description of the bike and motor with a serial# if there is one. If not I tell Customs and they give me a two part sticker with numbers on it--one for the bike and one for the card. I also list any other items such as displays and tools(when I was running the car show circuit). When I come back into Canada I just show the card and to date have not been questioned. Re Rob's point I have also used the card with the US Customs when asked if I intend to sell these while in the US.I am sure the US must have a similar set-up.It is worth looking into.I will post pics of the card showing both sides. When you get the card it is stamped by a Customs officer and good for life.

Never had a problem with bikes and parts ,I have purchases shipped to US address in ny and just trip over and pick items up declare and pay 13%.I think there is a little more to the story

Detroit border is a lot more difficult than the New York borders although Queenston Lewiston is getting almost as bad.You are OK because you are declaring parts and paying duty.They like that(cash grab by the government)