Caper cycle serial number..

sonerenos

Hey all,
I’m not like crazy hopeful but, after a million years owning my Caper Cycle, I degreased it’s today and uncovered the serial on it. That being 1235.
View attachment 295809
im pretty sure that even if I knew what it meant, it would tell me very little but, if any one knows anything about sequence here, I’d love to know all I can. Let me know!

GLAD YOU FOUND IT! my early caper with the diamond plated engine plate does not have a serial number, while my later bike is numbered 1619. you've seen both of my bikes.

GLAD YOU FOUND IT! my early caper with the diamond plated engine plate does not have a serial number, while my later bike is numbered 1619. you've seen both of my bikes.
I hope I can figure out what it means!
I made up a vector image of the fork decal as I’ve been unable to find one that matches the one on mine. Gonna get a few printed up if you’re looking. Let me know!

markus

Mine is serial # 529 . Its a '61, shows like the 1961 brochure, forward tilt on the handlebars (new for that year), no zerk fittings on the forks, engine plate is diamond plate scrap like the tank mount is, comet was the original brake unit on it. I have a WB 700 for it, but woud rather have a Mac MC-6 so I can make it the "Scrambles" version they offered in the catalog that year.

sonerenos

I hope I can figure out what it means!
I made up a vector image of the fork decal as I’ve been unable to find one that matches the one on mine. Gonna get a few printed up if you’re looking. Let me know!
ABSOLUTELY! count me in for 5. I would like one for the tool box and a few for the shoe box. Still waiting on your seat to come back, but its in the works with my other 2.

ABSOLUTELY! count me in for 5. I would like one for the tool box and a few for the shoe box. Still waiting on your seat to come back, but its in the works with my other 2.
Absolutely. I’ve got a running list but I’ll likely go over that just in case. It’ll be done in much better material than the original but should look dead on. I’ll post a screen grab of the working file tomorrow.

Mine is serial # 529 . Its a '61, shows like the 1961 brochure, forward tilt on the handlebars (new for that year), no zerk fittings on the forks, engine plate is diamond plate scrap like the tank mount is, comet was the original brake unit on it. I have a WB 700 for it, but woud rather have a Mac MC-6 so I can make it the "Scrambles" version they offered in the catalog that year.
Nice! I should look at that catalog. From handed down info and what I’ve been able to deduce, mine would be the Falcon but then, who knows? The bike was in a pile of mini bike frames when my dad selected it. The guy told him it had a west bend on it originally, could be bull.

Last edited:

markus

Nice! I should look at that catalog. From handed down info and what I’ve been able to deduce, mine would be the Falcon but then, who knows? The bike was in a pile of mini bike frames when my dad selected it. The guy told him it had a west bend on it originally, could be bull.
They were actually all the same rollers, just the engine is what made the model difference, fenders, lights, horn, and kickstands were all optional items not related to model/version. The Roadrunners had the Clintons at that time , Falcons had the West Bends, etc..

And the Clinton’s all had engine mounted tanks, correct? Aside from some guy allegedly telling my dad that it originally had a west bend, it sort of made sense that it would have being that it had a frame mounted tank.
They were actually all the same rollers, just the engine is what made the model difference, fenders, lights, horn, and kickstands were all optional items not related to model/version. The Roadrunners had the Clintons at that time , Falcons had the West Bends, etc..

And the Clinton’s all had engine mounted tanks, correct? Aside from some guy allegedly telling my dad that it originally had a west bend, it sort of made sense that it would have being that it had a frame mounted tank.

Also, for anyone interested, I’m not entirely sure what the deal with the fork decals was, I know mine looked different from what seems to be offered as remakes. So, I basically took mine which was in “ok” shape:
EA63F507-62F5-4AAE-8B67-C7844D3461BD.jpeg and did a vector rendering of it, color matched the yellow (which may or may not vary slightly in the final product based on what is the closest available material .. I’ll sacrifice a touch lighter or darker if the vinyl is better quality.. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there) and ended up with this:
ACE71F43-7E55-4936-84EC-6B90F26C391D.jpeg
(Looking at it, the border may need a little tweaking) So if you’re in need, let me know, I should be taking it to press in the next few weeks.

markus

Yes, the clintons were tanked, your tank is kind of unique though compared to others due to the cap style (1/4-1/2 turn locking) only ever seen ones with threaded on caps on them, but those bikes were getting more used by karters of the time and they were easy to solder on the inlets.

Thats neat on your decal to note the differences in your borders and cut off scripting on the Y Mine had more rounded corners. was you rbike originally Blue? IMG_7226.JPG

Yes, the clintons were tanked, your tank is kind of unique though compared to others due to the cap style (1/4-1/2 turn locking) only ever seen ones with threaded on caps on them, but those bikes were getting more used by karters of the time and they were easy to solder on the inlets.

Thats neat on your decal to note the differences in your borders and cut off scripting on the Y Mine had more rounded corners. was you rbike originally Blue? View attachment 295837
Yeah, that’s the one I usually see in repro. There’s another on on the web:
A3373FD5-ACFB-468F-866C-178D6F635F76.jpeg
B0FA5C81-F6B3-401D-A673-7A0F0C675A58.jpeg
looks like mine… tank is almost the same, again as you said, with a screw on cap.

Mine was originally red, re painted sometime in the 70’s to very chunky metallic blue then to black by my father. All that and some flashing tape is what saved the original decal, in fact. When I went to take the flashing tape off, it pulled the layers of paint off intact.

yeah, the tank must be a bit of a Frankenstein… certainly, as far as I know, Palmini didn’t make whole tanks for Minibikes so that there is a graft. .. a neat one mind you, but a graft.

Last edited: