Cat 250x Ready to Ride...

Cat 250x Ready to Ride... With TECH!!!

I really hate to make this post because this little bike is so much fun, but my hot rod project needs engine parts and being laid off makes it hard to splurge...

Anyhow, my Cat 250x is up for sale. Its ready to ride as is, or take it apart and shoot your favorite color over the primer.

I've gone through this thing front to back, up and down... wheel bearings, max torque clutch, chain, grips, throttle and cable...everything is new. Frame has been stripped to bare metal and covered with self etching primer. Be the envy of your friends with the one off velocity stack, billet machined foot pegs, and machine gun drilled stinger. I'm including my modified 2 HP Briggs... Don't be fooled, this little engine will push my 265 pound frame around at 30 plus mph.

Check out my "build thread" for pics, just check the last couple posts for thumbnails if you can't see the big ones.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/43109-new-wheels-old-cat.html

You can also check out this you tube video to "take a ride" and hear it run.

YouTube - Cruisin' the Ole' Mini Bike

I'm asking $500, but open to discussion on price/value. Bike is located about 20 minutes west of downtown Phoenix and we can talk about shipping options, at buyer's expense of course.

Last edited:

gbones

exactly. the best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. everything else inbetween that is a huge waste of money, but i make my living off boats, so people please buy boats and let me buff the hulls.

I like the old paint and the engine. I really like the pipe, looks like a machine gun heat shield. The fact it has a small engine is nice too, I see too many overpowered Cat minibikes. Good luck on your sale!:thumbsup:

I like the old paint and the engine. I really like the pipe, looks like a machine gun heat shield. The fact it has a small engine is nice too, I see too many overpowered Cat minibikes. Good luck on your sale!:thumbsup:
I was going to paint the bike and engine but I liked the color combo once I had the primer on and mocked it all up. There are 36 holes drilled in that pipe. 72 if you count having to drill twice. All in two inches... I'm pretty tired of drilling! :grind:

Last edited:
Where did you get that pipe or how did you make it? Looks to be flared out:thumbsup:.

I made the pipe from some 1 5/8" tubing from the rems bin. Its flared a bit over an inch. Here's a quick explanation... If there is interest, I'll make another one, take pics, and do a tech thread.

First cut, to make the proper length, was made in the chop saw. Moving over to the bench, I chucked the tubing in the vise, and made a pie-cut with the plasma torch. Make sure not to cut across the whole tube, leave a few inches uncut at one end. Paper towel tubes are a good medium to practice your measuring/cuts. Be very careful if you try this with a grinder and cutting wheel, steel tubing has mucho kinetic energy and will spring open when you get to the end of your first cut.

Once I made the pie cut, I cleaned up the plasma slag and headed back to the vise. Here's where things get interesting... Now you can just squish the piece together in the vise and weld it back up, you will however end up with an out of round piece. I like to start at the closed end (the "point" of the pie cut) first, applying just enough pressure with the vise to be able to tack weld the seam closed. After you get a few welds holding the seam, you can play around with the shape.... The tubing will be out of round from the "twisting" motion of the steel and the removed material from the cuts, as you close the gap. Pay attention to the "roundness" of the tubing and adjust the piece in the vise to get the profile you're after. Take your time and don't apply too much pressure with the vise, cause wasting tubing and time sucks.

After you get a nice round cone shape, you get to fit the exhaust flange. This is where all the time spent shaping helps. I used the flange off an old Briggs muffler and welded it in the small end of the cone. This pipe will make your engine as loud as possible and even throw a little flame when you get off the throttle. If you like your neighbors, or just don't like the dealing with John Law, now would be a good time to fit a baffle.

As for the holes I just laid out a half inch spaced grid on the last two inches of the pipe, and started drilling for about seventeen years... There are 36 holes on mine, and they each got drilled twice. These holes serve no purpose other than looking neat and to let your friends know that you have way to much time on your hands.

After typing all this I started a thread in Project Logs... Probably a better place for this info.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/44657-how-make-stinger-exhaust-pipe.html

Last edited:
lower the price just a little and you might get a good bite :thumbsup:

500 is hard to fork out for some
Here's the score fellas, I need $400 bucks for the hard parts to rebuild my hot rod engine. Its starting to get hot here in AZ and I really want to finish my truck before summer.

Keep in mind this mini bike was stripped to bare steel, primed, and re-assmbled with all new stuff. All you gotta do to make it yours is take it apart, paint, and put it back together. No rusty shit to deal with, no running around looking for parts or hardware... You can save a lot of time. Or don't and ride it as-is. I'm kind of partial the the industrial look with the flat green paint and original engine color.

I'm willing to trade my super fun mini for my hot rod Ford and for that I need $400. If you guys think that's still too high, then I really am too proud of this thing I'll just keep it and find the cash elsewhere. This isn't an issue of "I have to sell this thing..." I just want to haul ass and get my pickup back on the road.

Not a Lightning.... Its a 1964 F100. I've got the body off the frame getting ready to mock up the engine and trans mounts. I'm dropping a 351w and AOD in it. Gonna be my new daily when I get it done. Who cares about gas mileage when it costs less than $300 a year for tags and insurance? I tried to uplaod a pic of the frame and the body scattered all over the shop but it wouldn't load. I have a build thread goin over on another forum.....

THE H.A.M.B.

I've been wanting to build an old truck for awhile. This one is going to be daily drivin, probably more then my lady in her Toyota. I'm making this one pretty much new from the ground up, so I expect it to last another 50 years.

The only "modern" stuff goin' on are the AOD trans, and A/C. Other then that, I'm rolling with manual drum brakes, no power steering, and the same suspention technology they had before WW2. I don't see much reason to buy a brand new truck for what, $30-50K, have a huge payment, plus tags and insurance, and the same fuel mileage???

I won't have $5k into this old rig and it will certainly outlast the new Raptor my brother just got. Don't get me wrong.... we've got brand new-ish cars in our driveway, but I'm done driving and fixing new :censure:.... Once my old Ford is back up and running I'm going to drive it just like good ol' Jesse Duke!

Not a Lightning.... Its a 1964 F100. I've got the body off the frame getting ready to mock up the engine and trans mounts. I'm dropping a 351w and AOD in it. Gonna be my new daily when I get it done. Who cares about gas mileage when it costs less than $300 a year for tags and insurance? I tried to uplaod a pic of the frame and the body scattered all over the shop but it wouldn't load. I have a build thread goin over on another forum.....

THE H.A.M.B.
Nice truck! I had a 63 unit body with a 300ci straight six out of a later model truck, I loved it but my 1st wife got hit from behind driving it to the store and it was a total. It was resale red with baby moons on white steelies. Wish I still had it!:thumbsup: