Cat clutch?

OK, I have an old Hortsman clutch on the engine now. The clutch and the driven sprocket line up perfectly. No adjustment to the rear wheel was made ( left/right)
The clutch and chain are not being covered by the chain guard. The clutch is rubbing on the inside of the chain guard if I try to cover the chain. The guard is CAT made for this bike. The clutch is up against the engine.( teeth at engine block )
If I turn the clutch around, the chain will not line up with the sprocket. The sprocket cannot be adjusted without spacers or other methods used.
I got the bike sans the original engine. I put a 1960's B&S engine on the bike and the engine sits as it should on the frame and is not off-set.

What about the Cat trikes???
the CAT Twister trikes used a one-off specialty clutch using proprietary parts and special friction materials found only in the far reaches of the Siberian Mountains and secretly sold to Muskin Corp. by double agents working for the KGB. :anon.sml:

a friend of mine in PA happened to have one in his basement and donated it to the project..:wink:

OK, I have an old Hortsman clutch on the engine now. The clutch and the driven sprocket line up perfectly. No adjustment to the rear wheel was made ( left/right)
The clutch and chain are not being covered by the chain guard. The clutch is rubbing on the inside of the chain guard if I try to cover the chain. The guard is CAT made for this bike. The clutch is up against the engine.( teeth at engine block )
If I turn the clutch around, the chain will not line up with the sprocket. The sprocket cannot be adjusted without spacers or other methods used.
I got the bike sans the original engine. I put a 1960's B&S engine on the bike and the engine sits as it should on the frame and is not off-set.
the guard may have been designed for use with a Tecumseh :shrug:.....might have to tweak or make the brackets....

got pics :detective:

had the same issue with the Cat all American, you could see where the Clutch was hitting the inside of the guard for a while. I just used a couple of washers to move it out...:thumbsup:

throw that old crummy CAT guard out (in my mailbox)......:shifty:

I'll have Peekster bend you up a nice new one out of an old street sign or something...:wink:

I have a 250 X Cat I bought new in the spring of 1969.It had a 2-1/2 HP Tecumseh,and I can tell you for sure that my guard never fully covered the sprocket and chain.If I looked straight down I could always see at least half of them.The reason I remember it so clearly is that every time I oiled the chain it would throw a ring of oil everywhere,but mostly on my leg.Almost none would hit the guard.The original clutch did not have a bolt in the crank to hold it on,but two set screws.The guard has a circle worn into the inside where the clutch hub rubbed on it,it is about 1-1/4 in diameter.If there had been a bolt there it would have worn into the center first.I just restored the bike,and put a new clutch on it.The guard now has been moved out to clear the bolt on the modern clutch.I don't know what brand the original clutch was.I do remember when the springs broke out I tried to drive wooden wedges in so I could still ride with direct drive.That didn't work so I tried clamping two pair of vise grips to the drum between the shoes.Really bad idea.Then I drilled a hole in the drum and put a bolt through to lock it all up.I would start it up with the back wheel held up off the ground by a piece of wood.I would sit on it and push it off the wood.9 times out of 10 it would take off and leave me behind.