CAT wheel issue

Hey all, I was continuing work on my Cat project and was going to put new 5/8"ID X 1-3/8" OD bearings into a rear wheel I purchased from another member when it didn't fit on one side.

In the pictures the side without the bearing is slightly larger, seems like it would need a 1-1/2" OD bearing almost?

My idea is that I may try to find a bigger bearing (which is difficult it seems) or find a machine shop that can "swag" the larger side aka squeeze it smaller if possible.

Last edited:
Your wheel requires the 1 3/8 flanged bearing. What happens is that the openings get hogged out from use, especially if a bearing has seized and spun in there.

One fix is to shim the opening with thin stainless strips you get from hardware stores. Cut it to the width of the bearing, and wrap it until it fits snug. Some use JB Weld to fill the gap.

For slight gaps, we can pin the bearing opening with the bearing installed to grip it tighter, but it sounds like you have more slop than that.

Your wheel requires the 1 3/8 flanged bearing. What happens is that the openings get hogged out from use, especially if a bearing has seized and spun in there.

One fix is to shim the opening with thin stainless strips you get from hardware stores. Cut it to the width of the bearing, and wrap it until it fits snug. Some use JB Weld to fill the gap.

For slight gaps, we can pin the bearing opening with the bearing installed to grip it tighter, but it sounds like you have more slop than that.
Hmm, good idea, I was thinking there may be something I could wrap it in or weld on it or the wheel and grind it down a little.

Mine is definitely hogged out, has 1/8" play it seems almost.

OP

IDK how much slop you have but as suggested you can use sizing material aka "shim stock" It comes is various thickness. Some old school hardware store may have some. If just slightly enlarged hole (read bearing fits but will slip in hole) green Loc-Tite can also work shim stock.JPG