Centrifugal clutch noise

Please let me know if you have experienced a noisy (although new) centrifugal clutch. We have a new clutch on a Predator 212 engine which we have on a Fox Campus bike. The minibike is geared low (same as original) and runs well, except that the clutch randomly makes a loud noise and tries to engage while the engine is idling. At this point the rider is afraid of it because of the uncertain nature of the engagement (no additional throttle). I think the noise stops once the clutch is engaged (if you throttle up while the noise is happening). But to keep the minibike usable we have to hold the brake until ready to go.

The noise it makes is really loud, not like normal centrifugal clutch noise.

But most of the time the clutch works as it should, with no unusual noise or inadvertent engagement at idle.

Is this a know issue with centrifugal clutches? Will it "wear in"?

Thanks,

Brian

trinik7597

Hey Brian , take the clutch off clean the basket well with carb or brake clean . then oil the bushing's you should be good . check your chain tension and alignment too . you need to keep the bronze bushing oiled a little to prevent wear and the chain should have about a half inch of play spin the wheel and check that the chain does not get overly tight in one spot as well

bandit 40

Like trinik said If your chain is to tight or misaligned with the rear sprocket it will want to engage at an idle I have had this problem as well.

Last edited: