Centrifugal clutch or TAV2 system?

The learning continues..... It has been suggested that I look into TAV's to replace the centrifugal clutch and a TAV2 does look good. Just wondering about.....removing a centrifugal which I am unable to remove from a 212 Hemi crank shaft, no set screw, no key in the keyway, appears to have been pressed on the shaft by a bolt and washers, removing the bolt does not allow the clutch to slide off the shaft, perhaps a puller is needed? I'm having little luck thus far.
Replacement looks simple enough once old parts are cleared but I'm also concerned with reviews saying that the wrong bolts are commonly being shipped as factory applications but are the wrong lengths or sizes.

The one I am looking at is a Comet TAV2.

Any help or advise is welcome.

My Max Torque Clutch has two set screws on the back, one on the keyway and one at 3 o-clock. I know you said there isn't one but its all black and if its up against the engine it can be hard to see in there.

mustangfrank

The learning continues..... It has been suggested that I look into TAV's to replace the centrifugal clutch and a TAV2 does look good. Just wondering about.....removing a centrifugal which I am unable to remove from a 212 Hemi crank shaft, no set screw, no key in the keyway, appears to have been pressed on the shaft by a bolt and washers, removing the bolt does not allow the clutch to slide off the shaft, perhaps a puller is needed? I'm having little luck thus far.
Replacement looks simple enough once old parts are cleared but I'm also concerned with reviews saying that the wrong bolts are commonly being shipped as factory applications but are the wrong lengths or sizes.

The one I am looking at is a Comet TAV2.

Any help or advise is welcome.
It isn't pressed on, probably just corroded on the shaft or a hidden set screw like mentioned above, soak it in some penetrant. Careful if you have to use a puller, the clutches bend easily...just did it but luckily on a clutch I didn't need.

Your choice in TAV is great, some of the online shops that sell them also sell the correct metric bolt kits separately or get your own at the local hardware.

Pictures would help for fitment advice, concerning what frame the engine is in, especially if someone has done it before.

It isn't pressed on, probably just corroded on the shaft or a hidden set screw like mentioned above, soak it in some penetrant. Careful if you have to use a puller, the clutches bend easily...just did it but luckily on a clutch I didn't need.

Your choice in TAV is great, some of the online shops that sell them also sell the correct metric bolt kits separately or get your own at the local hardware.

Pictures would help for fitment advice, concerning what frame the engine is in, especially if someone has done it before.

Is it possible that their are no set screws? I have removed the engine and even when placed in great light on my work bench I can find no set screws anywhere... Your picture is an (apparent) exact duplicate of what I am trying to remove but the part does not wish to help in the effort. This is someone else' dropped project. I have applied Blaster and will look again and again but I am afraid a puller is next.

Yes it likely is just stuck on like Mustang Frank stated then. Puller should pop it right off.
Thank you for the guidance. I reconfigured my gear puller (bent the arms a bit) added a bit more Blaster and tightened the puller and finally heard the "pop" I needed to hear, off it came. again thanks.

If I may ask one final Q? Any particular TAV2 system you recommend? Don't care about name brand or such just a good TAV2?

mustangfrank

Thank you for the guidance. I reconfigured my gear puller (bent the arms a bit) added a bit more Blaster and tightened the puller and finally heard the "pop" I needed to hear, off it came. again thanks.

If I may ask one final Q? Any particular TAV2 system you recommend? Don't care about name brand or such just a good TAV2?
A TAV (Torq-A-Verter) is the entire plate assembly with 30 series clutches, cover and a fixed belt length. Your choices are genuine Comet or a Chinese knockoff and the PTO size, both only make the TAV2 now. You can also just buy the clutches, 20 or 30 series and measure for a belt but that depends a lot on frame style, whether you have a jackshaft already and you'll have to figure out a cover.

Sorry if this is review for you, I got confused by the replies.