Chain tension on drag mini?

I'm about to build a big block minibike for 1/8 mile fun. I see some of the drag bikes are running tensioners and some are not. The bike should have a good bit of power from 3000-7500 on alcohol and I'll be running a 4 disk clutch and #35 gold on gold chain for now (hopefully it'll make some passes). I've looked at a high-end tension that looks like it'll work well or I might make my own if needed. I'd just like to know from experienced minibike racers what's worked best for them even if it's no tension. Thanks

What kind of power/speeds are you running, any problems without one, how tight do you keep the chain?
I only have only raced the 100ft in it but it is set up for 1/8mi
Turned 38mph in the 100ft and there is more in the bike
Bike makes around 25hp at the tire it is a small block Briggs on methanol
I use Polar junior OD clutch with jackshaft the chain is not super super tight but there isn’t lots of play.
What kills my setup is using mini bike sized wheels and tires. I am running a 6” wheel with 10.5 or 11in Burris slick
The small tire helps on launch which a 100ft bike needs but you are running 15” tall tire which is way better suited to the 1/8 than my little tires. Check out pics of the bike in the my rides section there is more descriptions of the bike there but I can answer questions too

Thanks man. My rear slick will be 12". I'm not sure the power it'll put down but on Russell's Dyno (nr) it made 27.xx and 37 ft/lbs of torque with a stock head, 35# springs, mild cam, and stock carb on gas. Now it has a parsons ported big valve head (40/33mm valves) cut .080 with 65# springs, bigger cam, 1.2 ratio gage roller rockers, 34mm Mike Clements alky carb. I hope I can keep the chain from breaking, if not I'll switch to 428. I'm really not sure if a tension will help the chain from snapping or not. How often do y'all run 100' drags?

We used to race twice a year but we lost our venue
Haven’t raced in a year or 2
Bike is ready to go anytime though
Seems like we are around the same power level, what are you using for a clutch?

Mine should be upper 30's and knocking on 40's door now. I have a 4 disk viper with bully driver. I haven't received the nitro 50 frame yet. My other drag mini is a motovox with a built 212.

Mine should be upper 30's and knocking on 40's door now. I have a 4 disk viper with bully driver. I haven't received the nitro 50 frame yet. My other drag mini is a motovox with a built 212.
Wow what size is your motor to be making 40 horsepower?

The Polar clutch is great for 1/8 mile, you can even get it into overdrive for higher top speeds, depends on how you set it up

Last edited:
It's a 460cc big block with billet rod and flywheel, 40/33mm valves ported by Jeremy Parsons and cut .080 with 65# valve springs ( he runs well over 100 with same head at Daytona), Clements 34mm flatslide alky carb, the cam lift with the 1.2 ratio gage roller rockers is .368 and duration is 260° @50. The motor on the my motovox is just a mild 212 that I normally turn 8-8500 rpms.