Charging systems

Is there anybody out there that's made a alternator/generator that functions on small engines that didnt have one from the factory? Im building a bike with what i presume is an 80's(??? havent run the number yet) Tecumseh 3.0hp edger engine. The bike will be using a headlight and turn signals as well as a brake light, so power is a must and battery placement is an issue. Had a thought about switching the flywheel to a points one, taking off the solid state magneto, and then putting a plate assembly from a outboard on there. Taking one of the two ignition coils off and replacing it with a outboard charge coil. The smaller ones from the 9.9-15hp outboards make about 5-6 amps of AC and the rectifier makes it dirty DC(not very stable voltage 14-16vdc, for lights this should be fine though) Any thoughts? Any better ideas?

LED lights, and an AGM motorcycle battery. Those lights draw next to nothing, and will run for a long long long time without having to recharge the battery. You could even use a 3 cell lipo like is used in R/C cars. It's got a hard case for protection, and produces 12 volts.
Smaller and lighter then the AGM. Just have to know what you are doing when using a lipo.

I saw a bike the guy had adapted his cordless drill batteries to work on it. Easy to recharge and replace. I looked at the bicycle generators that rub on the tire as an option. Ended up buying a motor with a charging system. I never found a good option to an add on type without reinventing the wheel type engineering.

There are a few threads on led lighting and even with brakes stop and headlight work for many hours with a small 6800 mah flat pack battery. The battery and charger on eBay is around 25bucks on eBay. I couldn’t post link as I am on a iPad at the moment.

Thanks to all the ideas. Doc, I had a very similar idea but instead of a jackshaft just bolting the alternator onto the frame on its pivot and then using a two step pulley.(one for propulsion, the other for alternator) but the cost of those small alternators quickly discourage the idea as they are close to or greater than the cost of the actual engine, plus the power now being robbed from the engine is a discouragment too, but thats a given with any charging system. Those Lipos are really starting to look like the best option....