Clinton 500 Panther Engine with Custom Rod

Made this custom aluminum connecting rod for my Panther 500 engine. When I tore down this engine to restore it, I wanted to improve it to make it better.
Did all of the expected restoring steps of replacing all of the gaskets, oil seals, replacing the piston rings, rebuilding the carburetor, etc. But I wasn’t satisfied with the connecting rod. After some research, it seems like this particular engine’s connecting rod was just not built to handle the load when it was applied to go-karts and mini bikes.
it took 3 iterations for me to be satisfied with the design. But once I installed it and I ran the engine, this puppy really runs very well.
I may be wrong, but this might be the only Clinton Panther 500 with a custom aluminum 7075 connecting rod.
Here is a video of this little engine running.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/126xA-QNjL3VVto-Hvv2bdVaTZf1B9a-b/view?usp=drivesdk

Attachments

Awesome job, not many would go to the lengths you have to improve a part, what's next, custom piston?.
I have been contemplating selling the engine now that I am done with it. I would like it to go to someone that will use it to restore a vintage mini-bike. Receiving feedback on the engine performance would also be cool to see how I can improve on it some more since I have one other Clinton Panther 500 that I can modify as well. For example, maybe adding needle bearings?
I would have no idea as to how much to sell these for with these modifications and the shape they're in.

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

I have been contemplating selling the engine now that I am done with it. I would like it to go to someone that will use it to restore a vintage mini-bike. Receiving feedback on the engine performance would also be cool to see how I can improve on it some more since I have one other Clinton Panther 500 that I can modify as well. For example, maybe adding needle bearings?
I would have no idea as to how much to sell these for with these modifications and the shape they're in.
Generalizing what your work is worth is really hard. The only bad thing I would say is, people won't see it as an improvement and actually lose interest in it for the modification. When I first looked at your connecting rod in comparison to the original, I thought yours should at least have a bushing, don't know how a needle bearing would fare against the softer aluminum, unless of course the needle bearing had its own cage and wouldn't be in contact with the aluminum, it would probably be alright. I think it would be beneficial to at least have some sort of slot on the wrist pin side for lubrication though (just a thought). Keep up the good work, it's a labor of love that's for sure!.

Generalizing what your work is worth is really hard. The only bad thing I would say is, people won't see it as an improvement and actually lose interest in it for the modification. When I first looked at your connecting rod in comparison to the original, I thought yours should at least have a bushing, don't know how a needle bearing would fare against the softer aluminum, unless of course the needle bearing had its own cage and wouldn't be in contact with the aluminum, it would probably be alright. I think it would be beneficial to at least have some sort of slot on the wrist pin side for lubrication though (just a thought). Keep up the good work, it's a labor of love that's for sure!.
Thank you for the feedback.
I did include a slot for lubrication.

Attachments