Clutch brake questions

I have a sears 4+4 with the scrub rear brake and since there are no reproduction shoes and I’m not crazy about using it anyway I’m thinking about a clutch brake. Are they compact enough to fit behind the factory guard? Also what is the best one out there? Thanks 1AFFDD50-B1E8-4EDC-BAF5-338681075B34.jpeg

Triley41395

I have a sears 4+4 with the scrub rear brake and since there are no reproduction shoes and I’m not crazy about using it anyway I’m thinking about a clutch brake. Are they compact enough to fit behind the factory guard? Also what is the best one out there? Thanks
Can't help with the clutch brake question but you could put a different shoe on. When I bought my Roper it had a replacement shoe someone had put on it. If a clutch brake fits you can use that and have the scrub brake as a backup incase the chain comes off. I know it doesn't look vintage like your bike but just an idea. 20210613_193702.jpg 20210613_193638.jpg 20210613_193625.jpg [/QUOTE]

I didn’t know there was such a thing. I wonder what it’s like to power brake one of those.
There's a huge mechanical advantage with a clutch brake through your final drive ratios. Especially with a jackshaft. A light pull on the handlebar lever is all you need to slow down. An aggressive pull skids the tire.

I didn’t know there was such a thing. I wonder what it’s like to power brake one of those.
It heats that clutch up even more I'm sure. Heat is the killer of centrifugal clutches. Burns the oil out of the bronze bushing, and using it as a brake creates torque on the bushing and the fiber spacer. Causes premature wear of the clutch. Jim Donovan (Max Torque) doesn't like the idea, and has commented on it. They do stop good as long as the chain doesn't break, and are an easy remedy for otherwise difficult engineering problems with the rear axle and a brake. Ruttman used them. Plenty of vendors sell kits for them.

It heats that clutch up even more I'm sure. Heat is the killer of centrifugal clutches. Burns the oil out of the bronze bushing, and using it as a brake creates torque on the bushing and the fiber spacer. Causes premature wear of the clutch. Jim Donovan (Max Torque) doesn't like the idea, and has commented on it. They do stop good as long as the chain doesn't break, and are an easy remedy for otherwise difficult engineering problems with the rear axle and a brake. Ruttman used them. Plenty of vendors sell kits for them.
Yes, the more precision your set up is, the easier it is on the clutch. Make sure everything is square with the PTO shaft and nothing binds when activated. Riding habits should be considered also.