Cobra/Henrob torch?

Didn't want to twist up the aluminum frames thread with this question.
Has anybody tried using propane with a Cobra/Henrob torch?
I know it works with "conventional" torches, but propane doesn't give quite the heat that acetylene does, so it may be a factor in it's use.

Roger

I don't think that it will work. The Henrob/Dillin/Cobra torch has a unique "mixing chamber" that is the key feature of the torch. It is designed to operate at low line pressure and you have to turn up the pressure with propane if I remember correctly. The one time I used a cutting torch set up with propane was enough of an experience to convince me that I didn't like it.... I was cutting 30'' 3/8th's wall pipe. Bill board uprights. Took about 4 or 5 hours. Should have taken a couple of hours.

Doug

Hmm, if I remember my tables correctly, propane can't be used for welding as it doesn't clean the steel like acetylene does, when mixed.

But honestly, I would use what the tool was designed for. And from what I've seen it does a heck of a job.

Getting off track but anyone remember those propane torch kits with the solid oxygen tablets?

Hmm, if I remember my tables correctly, propane can't be used for welding as it doesn't clean the steel like acetylene does, when mixed.

But honestly, I would use what the tool was designed for. And from what I've seen it does a heck of a job.

Getting off track but anyone remember those propane torch kits with the solid oxygen tablets?
Evol now that you say that I remember that you are correct. Propane works for cutting but not welding.

Tweety Bird, the first torch I ever had was a SolidOx that had round cakes you lit by striking on a match book then sealed them in a brass tube. The stuff burned and made oxygen to feed the propane at the torch. It worked for brazing small joints, that's about all it was any good for.

Yeah problem with them was once lit you couldn't shut it off. So you had to plan ahead on what you were going to do, to use the oxygen up instead of wasting it.