Coleman with mystery clamp thingy

2old2care

I just picked up another CT200U - This one for my wife. Bought it from a young kid, who was selling it to raise money to fix his car - It was cheap.
Anyway it's a 2019, with a brand new Predator 212 - I mean REALLY new, as in barely broken in.
He said he bought it from a "guy", with the new motor already on it, and only rode it a couple times - The motor seems perfect, so I believe him.

Bike's in pretty good shape, except for rear frame and fender dings from a pretty catastrophic chain failure - Probably at high speed.
So anyway, it has this odd machined aluminum clamp thing on the left top tube. I was wondering what it was - Phone holder, camera mount, cup holder. etc?
Then it occurred to me that maybe it was part of a steering damper mount? Maybe the original owner was riding it at a speed that required it ........
If anyone has an opinion, or knows, I'd be interested :

clamp.jpg

2old2care

Hmmm - I don't know what it would have stabilized, as the motor on these is bolted down solidly.
I don't think now, that it was part of a steering stabilizer either, as there's no sign anything else was clamped on the front fork.
I also thought, maybe light mount - But it's in the wrong place . Oh well, it was just idle curiosity for me anyway .

2old2care

It has tapped holes in the end so it can be used to hold things. Such as a steering damper?
That's what I first thought, but no sign of the other end ever being clamped to the fork or triple tree .
I may re-purpose it for something, somewhere else - We shall see.........