Craftsman 179cc

desert rat

If you put a bran new carb out of the box on the motor and had the same problem I would not be posting this again but a second used carb with potentially the same problem is not fixing the root problem. We at Honda (retired) have had big fights with the government over E fuels and small motors for years. Fuel injected fuel systems can overcome the problems caused by E fuels but vac pull systems can not. You will ether be replacing your carb with a new one or you can take it apart and mechanically clean it. You can not spray your problem away. Not my clowns not my circus, but I will say get used to seeing the end of your tail cause your going to be chasing it for a long time.

Then find your area on here and stay away from E fuels
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Good luck with this and I will put this out there, just do it and prove me wrong I can take it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wha...62l8...8.900785j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Triley41395

I use ethanol free gas in my mower,weedeater, chainsaw, any small motors. We go in the spring and buy 50 gallons, it costs more but worth it in less maintenance. What's left in the fall I pore in my truck.

I've watched a lot of Steve's small engine ans saloon videos. I've found'm entertaining and very educational as well...

I've been told we have both 85 and 91(min 91sometimes higher) octane
Ethanol free fuel in town here. Use it everywhere i can.

Like his hack of 50/50 ATF and Acetone as a penetrating lubie-jubie!

Harquebus

It could be a Briggs OHV engine but I think it's a China motor, or both. Briggs outsources some of its engines to China manufacture. Anyhow, it would be worthwhile to determine just what it is. Look for numbers engraved into the block, blower housing, decals, etc.

Take the air cleaner assembly off the blown up 212 and see if it fits this engine, then put it on. There's no need for a fancy GoPowerSports air cleaner without other performance parts to go with it and it is probably making the engine run too lean. Surging is typical of fuel starvation and this "performance" filter is probably contributing to your surging. It just seems silly to have it on there.

So what did the grandson do to blow up the previous engine? Sheesh, how unfortunate. Sounds like the replacement engine should come out of his allowance or he can work it off with chores, hahaha

ETA: Of course it is not a Craftsman engine. Craftsman {Sears} doesn't make motors, or anything; never did. They are (were) a retailer and sold wares that were simply rebranded with a Craftsman or Sears logo.

I sprayed ether through every thing. I didn't use wire
Alright. I watched the video Desert Rat posted the second time and learned I did not do the pilot valve. My bad. So I haven't had time to get back on this but think if I do what the video guy says it should fix it.
I usually use ether and clean every passage and all is well. I didn't pull the pilot valve on this one. I had my terns confused when I said I did.

As far as ethanol fuel, I stay as far away from that as possible on anything but daily drivers. I can get 88 octane non E 2 miles from my house. I've been known to run my quad down to fill it and a couple of cans. This 179 wasn't mine so I don't know what was run through it.

Take the air cleaner assembly off the blown up 212 and see if it fits this engine, then put it on. There's no need for a fancy GoPowerSports air cleaner without other performance parts to go with it and it is probably making the engine run too lean. Surging is typical of fuel starvation and this "performance" filter is probably contributing to your surging. It just seems silly to have it on there.

So what did the grandson do to blow up the previous engine? Sheesh, how unfortunate. Sounds like the replacement engine should come out of his allowance or he can work it off with chores, hahaha
The fancy air filter was just to put one on there. It was easier and when I started messing with the 179 the go kart was still buried in the shed. If I get the Pilot Valve cleaned and it still surges I'll figure out how to get the 212 air cleaner on it.

Not sure what happened to it, he came around the corner and it was like the throttle stuck wide open. Then a trail of smoke and it quit. When I try to pull start I can feel something is wrong in the engine. He doesn't get an allowance from me so I guess I'm taking care it.;)

I ordered a new carb from Amazon for this thing. It'll be here tomorrow. I'll try cleaning it again with wire first though. I won't have time to work on this thing until Sunday afternoon and the nephews will be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. They will be ready to drive I'm sure. Its going to be a busy weekend for me.

I also ordered a 212 Bilt Hard from Amazon. It's the backup plan if this 179 doesn't run right or really pisses me off.

So does anyone have opinions on alignment of a go kart? Do the tires kinda toe out? I got this spindle bent back close but haven't welded it yet. If I bend it anymore I'm going to break what I'd kinda still have connected and have to start over on it. 20210802_130419.jpg
And some before pics
20210802_125922.jpg 20210802_125927.jpg

That last post was supposed to be in my cart thread.
The 179 pissed me off. I cleaned the PILOT VALVE with wire and cleaner, on both the stock carb and the 212 carb. Neither one fixed the engine surging. I had the new carb in the box, but decided I better get onto the yellow cart. So the 212 Bilt Hard got installed and I kicked it out of my shop.
When I get some time I'll install the new card to see if it fixes my problem or if it is a governor issue.
I moved the springs out to the end as was suggested, and moved them in and back and forth, but nothing helped.