craftsman/ tecumseh

hey i have a craftsman motor and i also have a 3 hp tecumseh they look mighty similar but the crafts man has a rope u have to re string everytime u want to pull it, i was wondering could i , with the right parts, convert it to a recoiling pull start

Tecumseh made engines for sears as did others. Post a photo and you'll get a quick answer. But unless it's something I've never ran into you would be able to convert it. If you can't get a photo I could tell you by the engine numbers from the engine you would like to convert.
And I would probably have the parts you would need for the conversion.
Welcome aboard!
Randy:scooter:

craftsman

Hey Randy, i also have this engine. It is 143-604062. Just wondering if I can mount a clutch brake to it from Allied. It says it fits most B&S, Tecumsah and Clinton engines.

Also do you know what year that was made?

Old tecumseh Engine, clutch brake mount

I discovered my engine does not have the four holes drilled out around the shaft. Does anyone know if this can be replaced with a new cylinder cover or if it can be drilled out?

Is there a web-site that deciphers or cross references the Craftsman engine ID #'s to the correct Tecumseh engine ID #'s?

Thanks
~JM~

PatrickCraik

Craftsman ID

Is there a web-site that deciphers or cross references the Craftsman engine ID #'s to the correct Tecumseh engine ID #'s?

Thanks
~JM~
Hi, Just thought I'd bump this up. I have a Craftsman side exhaust, horizontal shaft engine and want to know it's specs. I also have an old Tec. H25 in need of a crankshaft and wonder if I could use the one from the Craftsman.

Pat

Sure, provided they are the same. What are your engine numbers? I, or someone else on here will cross them for you. Whats wrong with the H25 crank? If your going from 5/8 to 3/4, I maybe interested in a 5/8 crank. You had mentioned having Ruttman forks a wail back, I think it was you? Do you have any available?

PatrickCraik

Sure, provided they are the same. What are your engine numbers? I, or someone else on here will cross them for you. Whats wrong with the H25 crank? If your going from 5/8 to 3/4, I maybe interested in a 5/8 crank. You had mentioned having Ruttman forks a wail back, I think it was you? Do you have any available?

Hi,Thanks, I'll have to check the numbers when I get home. The crank was worn to a taper @ the bearing 'cause of a sloppy clutch,it was a 5/8" .I didn't know it could be changed to a 3/4"? That would be cool. I was looking for a Ruttman front end. I'm just going to modify mine.

Pat

Last edited:

PatrickCraik

Hi,Thanks, I'll have to check the numbers when I get home. The crank was worn to a taper @ the bearing 'cause of a sloppy clutch,it was a 5/8" .I didn't know it could be changed to a 3/4"? That would be cool. I was looking for a Ruttman front end. I'm just going to modify mine.

Pat
Hi, My engine # is 143-614032. I can't find anything on the net telling me the hp rating or any parts interchangeability. The Tec. # is ech90 and that's all I can find. Any info. will be helpful. Thanks.

Pat