Detroit Area - Old School - Need Help

Back in the late 60"s - mid 70"s there was a store / storefront that was filled with minibikes for sale. I believe it was on Woodward Ave. between 8 mile - south to 6 mile - on the east side of the street ? Also believe there was a "Flagg Brothers" shoe store just down the street on the same side of the road as well ? Why am I asking this - cause it has haunted me for many years, as I remember staring in that window looking at those Ruttmans and Lil' Indians wishing I had enough money to buy one and that my Dad would let me if I did. What I am hoping for - is that someone from my hometown may have a picture of this place from that era ( kinda like the old time pictures of Schwinn Shops with all the Stingrays and Krates lined up) and if this is not possible - at least the name of the place so I can say I have one small thing off my bucket list. I truly appreciate any help anyone can give me ! You can answer this post or PM me - Thank you !

I was pretty young back then but spent a huge amount of time at my grandmother's house. We lived at 8 mile and Woodward. I don't recall any mini bikes up in that area. You got the cemetery from 8 down to 7 and the golf course from there down to McNichols. Was it opposite either of those?

My guess is that store was south of McNichols and that store was Fromm's.

Late 60s south of 8 Mile was no place to be. There was an 8pm curfew most of the time there and fires during '67. Selling minis as a standalone store seems dicey. Fromm's was a big chain and could take those on, just like Wards/Sears/JCP.

I lived right next to State Fairgrounds as a reference.

Last edited:
Definitely turbulent times in the late 60s. I was just a kid then, but I remember my grandpa coming home all bloody and beat up from being in the riots. 7 mile and Gratiot area. Anyway, I thought this picture might help spark somebody's memory.

I truly appreciate each of you contributing to help me find this place - I could of sworn that it was on Woodward - I suppose it could of been on Gratiot - where I used to cruise back in high school - but I really don't think it was ? I know the place I am thinking of also did minibike repairs - as I went with my friend and his dad to have his minibike carb repaired / adjusted and we left it there to be worked on - so I don't think it could of been Fromms - the old picture with the shoe store on the corner looked vaguely familiar but I distinctly remember the Flagg Brothers shoe store - because at night it was so brightly lit up. I too also remember the riots / I was 8 yrs. old - I lived near 8 mile and Mack and how we were not allowed to stay out past 8 - but I also know I was always safe and don't recall us locking the door when we went to sleep at night during the majority of my childhood - needless to say we live in a much different world now. Just keep me in mind if you recall / or come up with something ! Thanks again !

That is a very good suggestion Oldsledz - I have my 40 yr. high school reunion in October - so may need to get down there a day earlier - really surprised that it does not come back to someone else - it is still a vivid memory and the awe it caused me to feel when I was there - and Flagg Brothers shoe store was lit up like a Christmas tree !

Last edited: