Difference between 1970 Rupp Torque Converter and 1971 and newer?

I need parts for my '70 Scambler, whenever I see listings for Rupp Torque Converter parts I see them listed as 1970 or 1971 and newer, Whats the diff? Can you use the drive from one year and the driven from another? I see even the plastic guards have different years listed?? Thanks Jim in Pittsfield Ma.

capguncowboy

Hmmmmm still need more clarification...Just talked to a seller of the Plastic Guards, he said the 71 and newer are shorter? How is that? Did they move the engine?

Second. there is a bike on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rupp-Roadster-Mini-Bike/253765015614?hash=item3b1592d83e%3Ag%3AoQ8AAOSwpG1bYHyc&_sop=16&_sacat=0&_nkw=rupp&_from=R40&rt=nc

with what looks like a comet driver...you can do that?
The guard was shorter because they shortened the frame, moving the jackshaft forward.

Yes, you can run a Comet driver on your Rupp and it will work fine. Much more reliable and easier to find parts for than the originals.

cfh

If anyone has original Rupp torque converter drivers for sale because they changed to Comet, please let me know. In my opinion, the Rupp (fairbank morse) design is far superior to comet's design.

Great information, from reading older posts I see the Comet20 is the one to use. Evidently the comet calls for a 3/4 wide belt while the rupp driven calls for a 5/8 wide belt, What is the answer to the mismatched belt deal?

cfh

it's pretty easy to change from 3/4" to 5/8". The part of the Comet drive unit closest to the motor, the part that holds the brass bushing (aka the "sheave"), needs to be modified. If you measure the length of the portion that the brass bushing rides upon, it's 3/4". This just needs to be trimmed to 5/8".

Perfect!

One more question, anybody have a modern part number for the front wheel bearing on a 70 Scrambler...or the inside and outside diameters?

I don't have a front wheel yet...kinda...so I don't have one to measure. Thanks

You guys are a wealth of information, OK, one LAST question for now. I have found a front wheel but it has no bearings, internal or external spacers and no axle.

Black widow no longer has the center spacer or axle. Rupp # 15263 on the spacer between the bearings] Does anybody have a spares I can buy or...the dimensions so I can make one...Thanks again for all the info.

I'm guessing I can make an axle from 1/2 steel rod...the spacer might be a little more involved.