Dirt Cheap Solution for Dial Indicator Mount (Poor Man's Way)

Setting up a points ignition for a Tecumseh either requires the Tecumseh unique dial indicator (last one I saw on eBay was 80 bucks, and that was a while back) or getting creative. I decided to be creative and picked up a dial indicator at Harbor Freight and needed some means to mount it.

I picked a foot of 1/4-20 threaded rod and six nuts on the way home. I had a piece of scrap piece of steel bar laying around, so centered and drilled 5 holes 1" apart, with center punches for holes at 1/2" intervals if needed. I then drilled a hole to fit a head bolt (or equivalent) and bent the flat stock to 90 degrees, secured the rod in one of the holes, mounted the flat stock to a head bolt hole and aligned the dial indicator over the cylinder. So, for a grand total of $1.74 + the dial indicator, I have a means to do measurements.

Attachments

Last edited:
Pretty crafty for an old guy , can you read the dial :001_tt2:
Ang, Why, yes I can....spent a year in the basement of Whittiker Hall at Virginia Tech with 25 foot long lathes, milling machines, scrapers, and other assorted WWII surplus equipment larnin' how to make sumthin' outa nuttin'. Who needs CNC?? :001_tt2: back at yas!:laugh: