Doodle Thug

Here she is... I recently picked up a rolling chassis Doodle-bug scooter from the 40's.
So upon opening my wonderful new (to me) purchase, I found that: the rear tank's filler was pushed down, and was dented in a bit where it attaches to the bikes frame. I found a suitable wrench's head to fit into and to allow me to grip underside of filler area to pull down with some force to undent it. Yea! it worked. Next, I utilized a foot or so of wood broom handle to punch out the two rear dents at the mounting surface. Yea! So far so good. I didn't care for all the solder globbed around the fuel exit fitting, so wire brushed and did a better job of solder work.
Next, I had to unbend the front fender where it slopped around the shipping crate, unfastened, and had gotten badly crushed. I used a hammer in opposite direction of bend and formed it back into submission.
I haven't been able to locate the missing jack shaft/transmission parts, so I just ordered some re-pop pieces.
Blew off/cleaned engine... lots of kitty litter (oil dry) in on her for some reason. Removed dents from engine shroud.
I also ordered 10' of #41 chain so as to have extra for "Modifications"
My current plans are to forget a standard 2-3hp mill and stuff in my twin cylinder circa 1945 4 stroke cycle Fairbanks-Morse 4hp (at 1800 rpm) prob closer to 6-8 at 3600 rpm, if she goes that high. (First two pics)
I'm gonna name her "Doodle-Thug", cause she'll be nasty!
Wow, this mill is bigger than I thought. Oh, It fits in the bike no problem, but the carb and crankcase ventilation tube(6) in the dang way. Undaunted, I figured a way to install it.
Was gonna run a clutch pulley, but decided to go the Whizzer style slip clutch method. Devised a pulley tensioning setup, and made an arm (5) to release tension ala clutch lever/cable.(Made from a shelve bracket) That took some doing, but that's done. also ran a different brake cable, and am using a twist-grip throttle instead of lever throttle. That's done also.
Marked engine mounting holes and awaiting new titanium drill bits... all my bits are mostly krapola from countless projects.
After engine mounted, should just need to finish new carb mount(3), mount gravity feed fuel tank (fuel pump had to be removed, in frames way, but will save for when I ever need to use them), install starter sheave pulley and fill with oil.
I replaced shroud on engine, removed engine, drilled engine mounting holes (nice having new drill bits!!!!!), re-installed engine, worked on carb adapter (lift).
Enlarged carb mount where reducer had a flange kind of in the way 12. re-mounted carb, all control cables and linkage.
Mounted fuel tank to handlebars(14), and removed main drive pulley(15) (have a heavy iron pulley to replace it(16). Old sheet metal drive pulley to be modified into rope-sheave(15). (Maybe electric start later, but she's heavy enough now!)
Swapped drive pulleys out, made and installed crankcase ventilation tube extension(6.5), ran fuel line, made and installed kickstand (large eye bolt)(17).

(1) Extension I made to reach down to governor, due to having to raise carb to clear framework.
(2) Carb mounting extensions, (3) Intake manifold extension
(4) Oil dip stick (2.5 quart sump/pressure system)
(5) Slip clutch actuation arm
(6) Crankcase ventilation tube(to air cleaner)
(6.5) Crankcase ventilation extension
(7) Throttle bracketry I made
(8) Mechanical fuel pump, cannot use due to frame in the way
(9) Top of (3) intake manifold
(10) Jackshaft tensioner (water closet actuator arm...lol!)
(11) Not a lot of room to clear carb intake manifold and crankcase ventilation tube! Sigh!
(12) intake manifold reducer/carb flange facing
(13) carb with air cleaner and vent extension
(14) Quart fuel tank
(15) New drive pulley
(16) Old pulley with notch cut for rope start
(17) Kick stand (large eyebolt)

Attachments

Last edited:
You better wrap that exhaust... It sure looks dangerously close to the back of the leg.

I really like the license plate. That has to be one of just a few left.... Love the hole bike, it looks period correct...

Doug

You better wrap that exhaust... It sure looks dangerously close to the back of the leg.

I really like the license plate. That has to be one of just a few left.... Love the hole bike, it looks period correct...

Doug
Thanks Doug. Yea, tried to keep it all of the same vintage. Yes, a heat shield is on the top of my list. :wink:

Wow..really one of the most unusual hookups I've seen:doah: horizontaly opposed? big powerplant ....super .:001_cool:
Thanks, I saw that mill, and thought, I had to have it.
Originally bought it to put on my 1960 National lawn tractor, but thought maybe it would be neat to stuff into a scooter/mini bike frame.
bri.

Update: I ran the motor today for about 10 minutes. Trying to get the idle where I want it. It has a governor so it is kinda fighting the twist-grip setting for a certain speed.
Rev's up good, and idles pretty low as well, but does not want to Idle low for long. Think I got dirt in carb from tank... I thought it had a good filter screen... maybe I was wrong. When warm, she starts right up. Had trouble starting initially due to a stuck float valve (no fuel at all!)
Sounds nice, but not a "lopey" V-twin kind of sound like a Harley. Gonna clean the carb again and try again next weekend. b-man out!