Drilling guide wanted

Want to buy, borrow, rent drilling guide for 3/4 shaft . Metal Man was making a few last spring, but have been unsuccessful reaching him. Anyone have one they want to rent, lend, sell, please let me know. Just got a clean little classic 3 HP Briggs with hole started, but not tapped. Will pay shipping. Have a listing in shop tools but haven't heard from anyone. Feel free to reply, email me at mdenemark@cfl.rr.com or text me 321 480-3684. Haven't figured out private messaging on the new forum.

chrisr

If you slide a 3/4" socket over the PTO shaft that is 3/8 drive will allow you to have a centered pilot to center punch for drilling, then just drill straight with the socket removed. I have drilled many PTOs in this fashion substituting the socket used for the shaft size. Getting the initial hole centered to center punch seemed to be hardest part for me. Not sure if this helps.

If you slide a 3/4" socket over the PTO shaft that is 3/8 drive will allow you to have a centered pilot to center punch for drilling, then just drill straight with the socket removed. I have drilled many PTOs in this fashion substituting the socket used for the shaft size. Getting the initial hole centered to center punch seemed to be hardest part for me. Not sure if this helps.
Thanks, has the starter hole from the factory, but thats it. Just didn't want to screw it up, really clean old Briggs in great shape.

cfh

Or you can use a Drill bushing from McMaster Car. Outside diameter is 3/4", inside is 5/16 or 3/8 (get both or either!) For $15 you can have a nice center start with your drill bit. You will need to use an old 3/4" clutch to hold the drill bushing on the PTO shaft. Slide the clutch on, slide the Drill bushing into the end of the clutch, drill. Below are the McMastercar part numbers. cfh

for 3/8" drill size: 8493a252
for 5/16" drill size: 8493a251

cfh

Using the drill bushing is better though. having a center dimple is nice, but it doesn't guarantee a straight drill. Using the drill bushing gives a straight hole into the shaft. You can do it with the motor installed on the bike too and get excellent results.

Using the drill bushing is better though. having a center dimple is nice, but it doesn't guarantee a straight drill. Using the drill bushing gives a straight hole into the shaft. You can do it with the motor installed on the bike too and get excellent results.
Not if you're using the McMaster Carr 8493a251 tool unless I am reading it wrong. It is designed for a drill bit that is .3125. (5/16) That tool would work for making 3/8"-16 taps, not 5/16-24. The bit required for a 5/16-24 is a ltr I which is .272. So you would have slop between the proper bit and the guide, unless you were going to drill your 3/4" crank PTO for a 3/8"-16.

Hopefully you are not drilling 5/16 holes for a 5/16 tap.

I've never had a problem drilling from the dimple, or drilling by finding center for that matter. There is not a lot of radial torque on the PTO with the clutches I use, although a belt can put a little more on it.

You can drill the PTO completely off center, and it doesn't hurt a thing. It will still hold a clutch on.

https://www.mcmaster.com/mvb/library/20170814/8493a252_removable drill bushingl.gif

cfh

Let me restate that because yes it was confusing. Here are the drill bushing numbers from McMaster Car:

for 3/8-24 Tap size: 8493a251 (drill bushing 3/4" OD and 5/16" ID)
for 5/16-24 Tap size: 8493a074 (drill bushing 3/4" OD and 1/4" ID)

Using a clutch to hold the drill bushing on the 3/4" PTO shaft, you pre-drill with either 1/4" or 5/16" drill bit and the respective drill bushing. Then remove the clutch/drill bushing and re-drill with the "I" or "Q" drill bit (respective, depending if using 5/16-24 tap or 3/8-24 tap).

Using this method will give you a perfectly centered *and* straight tap bolt into the PTO shaft. Though i've done it without the drill bushing, it's not that easy (especially if you're tapping for 3/8-24). cfh