E mini bike. Controller problems.

So I’m building a electric mini, 52 volt battery setup with cheap motor and controller setup, my stock controller that came with motor was fine but jerky so I bought a new one and I’ve tried two but my wiring must be off because it spins the wheel fine but when I sit on it the motor just makes horrible sounds and won’t go, I’m just so confused, any pointers?
@I74

I74

OK,,

First off Nathen,,
Give me a rundown of your motor, controller,, batt. set up,, & throttle.

First thought is,, you don't have enough Batt.

2nd thought is...
If you are running ''brushless'' & had to switch the 3 motor wires to get proper direction,, then you ''also'' have to switch ''2 wires'' in the ''multi''- motor/controller plug,, to make it work right.
You should be able to get back into my ''old'' build threads now,, as I explain & show that there. ;)

P/S,,
Got my alerts switched back on again,, so I will be able to get e-mail alerts ect. again.

Maybe they got shut off because I haven't done much activity in a ''long'' time. .

Who knows … :rolleyes:

I

Last edited:
OK,,

First off Nathen,,
Give me a rundown of your motor, controller,, batt. set up,, & throttle.

First thought is,, you don't have enough Batt.

2nd thought is...
If you are running ''brushless'' & had to switch the 3 motor wires to get proper direction,, then you ''also'' have to switch ''2 wires'' in the ''multi''- motor/controller plug,, to make it work right.
You should be able to get back into my ''old'' build threads now,, as I explain & show that there. ;)

P/S,,
Got my alerts switched back on again,, so I will be able to get e-mail alerts ect. again.

Maybe they got shut off because I haven't done much activity in a ''long'' time. .

Who knows … :rolleyes:

I
Throttle is cheap one that came with kit, controller just a basic one off Amazon, it has more amp output than the one in the kit, battery is a 30 amp hour, 52 volt off AliExpress, seemed to be legit tho quality battery. With my other controller it was dropping from 58 to 53-54 full throttle so doesn’t seem like to much voltage drop not sure.
old controller was 34 amp this one claims 45.

2nd thought is...
Ok so not sure what you mean here. Phase wires shouldn’t matter as I have the “self learning feature” so I just hooked them all up and switched that to forwards. As far as everything else I barely went riding it and as long as you PUSH it forward and then ride, absolutely no issues, it’s only at 0 rpm the motor can’t decide which way to turn…. So like is that something to do with the centrifugal switch in the motor?

I74

I still need to know the ''specs'' of what your motor, controller,, & batt. is,, before I can go any further..

I still need to know the ''specs'' of what your motor, controller,, & batt. is,, before I can go any further..
Not sure what you mean, battery is rated for 50 amp current. Controller is 45 amp, 48-72 volt range. Motor claims to be 2000 max watts so with my setup I’m pushing that at 2610 max watts. But most people I here Overvolt them no problem.

I74

So ,, when you say your batt. is a 52v.,, are you implying that it is advertised as a 48v. nominal ?

Once again,,
Show me what exactly the batt. spec ''config'' is,, & what the voltage of the motor is on the 'case sticker'',, like 48v, 12s-4p ect. on the bat ,, & for example,,: MY-1109-48v. on the motor. ect.

If you are not just going to reply what I ask in the first place, ''plus debate with me'',, you can find some one else to - ''try' & help you.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So ,, when you say your batt. is a 52v.,, are you implying that it is advertised as a 48v. nominal ?

Once again,,
Show me what exactly the batt. spec ''config'' is,, & what the voltage of the motor is on the 'case sticker'',, like 48v, 12s-4p ect. on the bat ,, & for example,,: MY-1109-48v. on the motor. ect.

If you are not just going to reply what I ask in the first place, ''plus debate with me'',, you can find some one else to - ''try' & help you.. :rolleyes:
Sorry, not meaning to come across rude. Thank you for your help. I just didn’t understand. Battery is supposed to be 52 volt nominal. So 58.8 fully charged. 17EBE4FB-0A43-4406-B548-F2C176AFEBF6.jpeg 2A337E48-3938-4861-AE93-0892B42EC480.jpeg 64A7219E-FFFC-4B23-A535-F3BAF75F4440.jpeg

I74

Ok,, that kind'a helps.

The batt. is throwing up a ''big'' flag though,, never seen anything like that. :confused:

What's it out of,, ''or'' where did you get it??

Need to know also if it's Li,, or something else....

Ok,, that kind'a helps.

The batt. is throwing up a ''big'' flag though,, never seen anything like that. :confused:

What's it out of,, ''or'' where did you get it??

Need to know also if it's Li,, or something else....
Yeah it’s lithium ion, supposed to be a 14S6P lithium pack of 21700 batteries.
got it off AliExpress.
33532F51-0D8F-4739-8B76-F6ED5054AAD1.png

I74

Wow,, 112 bucks, with 21700's !

Bet it's not Panasonic cells though,, but that's probably ok anyways,, for that price !

What that has is,,: 84 - 21700's,, which should be plenty,, & ea. cell's nominal voltage should be around 3.7 volts.

58v fully charged,, should not hurt the motor or controller @ all.

Why's that motor so beat up looking, & why did you open it up for ?? :confused:

Also,, don't wash those electrical parts anymore,, just a damp rag ect. by hand !

Did everything work ok for awhile when you first put all the stuff in ??

Even though the controller says ''self learning'',, you still probably need to swap - 2 of the multi plug wires,, when switching 2 of the 3 main motor wires,, to change running direction.
The ''self learning '' portion,, is probably pretty much just for the voltages

If you don't,, it throws the motor phase ect. off,, & that's what it sounds like, from what you described..

Think it was the blue & yellow pins you swap positions in,, on one of the controller /motor ''multi wire plug'' ends.
Doesn't matter which plug end either. Just one or the other.

Some ''self learning'' controllers have 2 small wires coming out of them ,that you momentarily touch together though,, to change motor direction,, so you don't have to go thru all the other stuff.

I have a self learning controller on the MM-1000,, & that's how I did it on that,, with out having to switch 2 of the multi wire plug pins.

Like I said before,, go back into my build thread on it, & see what I'am talking about there..

Been quite awhile,, so am not 100% sure which build thread,, but think it's the MM-1000 one.

I

Last edited:
Wow,, 112 bucks, with 21700's !

Bet it's not Panasonic cells though,, but that's probably ok anyways,, for that price !

What that has is,,: 84 - 21700's,, which should be plenty,, & ea. cell's nominal voltage should be around 3.7 volts.

58v fully charged,, should not hurt the motor or controller @ all.

Why's that motor so beat up looking, & why did you open it up for ?? :confused:

Also,, don't wash those electrical parts anymore,, just a damp rag ect. by hand !

Did everything work ok for awhile when you first put all the stuff in ??

Even though the controller says ''self learning'',, you still probably need to swap - 2 of the multi plug wires,, when switching 2 of the 3 main motor wires,, to change running direction.
The ''self learning '' portion,, is probably pretty much just for the voltages

If you don't,, it throws the motor phase ect. off,, & that's what it sounds like, from what you described..

Think it was the blue & yellow pins you swap positions in,, on one of the controller /motor ''multi wire plug'' ends.
Doesn't matter which plug end either. Just one or the other.

Some ''self learning'' controllers have 2 small wires coming out of them ,that you momentarily touch together though,, to change motor direction,, so you don't have to go thru all the other stuff.

I have a self learning controller on the MM-1000,, & that's how I did it on that,, with out having to switch 2 of the multi wire plug pins.

Like I said before,, go back into my build thread on it, & see what I'am talking about there..

Been quite awhile,, so am not 100% sure which build thread,, but think it's the MM-1000 one.

I
I pulled the motor apart only out of curiosity.

everything was working fine till I put this new controller on.
but I have the self learn feature (where you plug the two wires together and the motor changes direction) also I’ve switched up all the phase wires and the combination doesn’t seem to matter.

That’s the only reason I’m maybe thinking the controller for some reason doesn’t match the motor, because the controller that came with the kit has no problems, and I installed the new one exactly the same.
Oh and btw I read your mm-1000 thread, like three times :D

Is there any known way to get test my battery? I tried everything I could with that controller to no avail. So I switched back to the one that I had no troubles with and absolutely no power stuttering so bad, which makes me wonder if I messed something up in the motor or the battery is shit.

LIVIT

Is there any known way to get test my battery? I tried everything I could with that controller to no avail. So I switched back to the one that I had no troubles with and absolutely no power stuttering so bad, which makes me wonder if I messed something up in the motor or the battery is shit.
Put an amp meter between the battery and controller and test under load, then do same between controller and motor. I think you got a motor prob. But only way to make sure is too test the Battery. Are you using a charger that shows each cells voltage ?

Put an amp meter between the battery and controller and test under load, then do same between controller and motor. I think you got a motor prob. But only way to make sure is too test the Battery. Are you using a charger that shows each cells voltage ?
How exactly do I test that?
I’ll see if I can find a clamp on amp meter.
And no the battery charger charges the whole pack, not individual so I can’t tell.
the motor definitely seems to be having an issue