electrical question

I have a flywheel with magnets attached and the two coils underneath that came off of a stock baja mb200, is there any way to use these to charge a battery, and then run lights from the battery?

You'd still need a regulator to limit both voltage and current going into the battery. Without regulating those, the risk is high of damage to the battery.
How would you propose to spin the magnets inside the coils? (or spin the coil(s) around the magnets). I ask because if you're going to use an engine of any type, generally, power in equals power out. In actuality, it requires more power input to a device than what one will get out of the generating device. That's due to inherent losses in the transfer(s) of power, both in and out. We build nothing perfect, or 100% efficient, so that's where the losses occur.

Roger

chrisr

In order not to damage the battery like Roger said you need to regulate the charge to the battery or else it will not live long. On a lot of generator/alternators they are AC so for lights that's not a problem but to charge the battery and not damage the battery it needs to be DC with the use of diodes along with regulating the charge with a voltage regulator. Hope that helps.

Yes , you can damage your battery But it ain't gunna happen Over Night......Battery isn't expensive so what you got to lose?

Battery is D/c voltage

So just get a Transformer they are like 5 bucks and are real small......

How do you think you wire up a Doorbell in a house? Most houses carry a 120 240v service....And a Doorbell is like 24v so ......you need a Transformer to kick it down to 24vDc

Last edited:
Yes , you can damage your battery But it ain't gunna happen Over Night......Battery isn't expensive so what you got to lose?
What he has to loose is a bunch of battery acid all over his engine and frame, and if it's a lithium derivative, some friend balls.

So just get a Transformer they are like 5 bucks and are real small......
His magneto puts out AC voltage, not DC, so the bottom (negative) portion of the sine wave needs to be removed from the signal. (Making it positive DC, although pulsating) This is done by a rectifier consisting of 2 or 4 diodes. Since his magneto is around 10 VAC, not a lot of regulation is required as long as he keeps his load high with incandescent head lamp, or doesn't ride for long periods of time.

How do you think you wire up a Doorbell in a house? Most houses carry a 120 240v service....And a Doorbell is like 24v so ......you need a Transformer to kick it down to 24vDc
Completely different application. And it's AC, which is what keeps the "buzz" in the buzzer.

Bike Worm, I'd run incandescent lights right off the magneto, and not have a battery. Unless you have an electric (DC) starter. Then you need a battery and a rectifier assembly. If you keep your lights on, they will do a good job of voltage "regulation" which would actually be voltage limiting. Many bikes were done this way, including iirc, Honda?

If you want some easy to follow and technically perfect advice, look up Jon Pardue here. I forget his user name.

If you want some easy to follow and technically perfect advice, look up Jon Pardue here. I forget his user name.
Dave is 100% correct. Jon is THE GURU on all things electrical with any type of motorbike, and he is also a very nice gentleman. His OldMiniBikes username is Inventorpardue
Michael