engine dimensions vs horsepower

Hello all- What are your opinions as to the best engine available when you need something dimensionally small but reasonable powerful - say 4-6 HP ?

KB2ROCKET

You may find this hard to believe I know I do but this engine is rated at 5hp only the silver part is engine the rest is cooling fins

I would also like to see that info. Those little nitro burners can turn a lot more rpms than a 5hp briggs will.

I had a book about automotive physics, and it had a similar example of a scaled down engine vs a regular sized engine. Both having the same amount of horsepower in their respective scale, anyways it had almost a page lenght of calculations and ended in the same conclusion... its not the same. Example 15hp in a single cylinder engine vs 15hp in a two piston (Assuming they both have the same bore x stroke).

furyus

Horsepower is a way to measure power. One mechanical horsepower is what it takes to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. Horsepower isn't scaled down or up based on the size of the engine. It either lifts 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute or it doesn't.

furyus

C9H13NO3

Horsepower is a way to measure power. One mechanical horsepower is what it takes to lift 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. Horsepower isn't scaled down or up based on the size of the engine. It either lifts 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute or it doesn't.

furyus
I knew even after re-reading the post and editing, then deleting mine that something couldn't be right, and I am glad someone is backing me up on this one.

KB2ROCKET

The nitro engine I showed is rated at 5 hp @ 32000 rpm the truth is no body believes it really puts out 5 horsepower I think the company just outright lied to sell engines my guess is that it puts out slightly less than 2 horsepower but that's a lot of hp for a piston smaller than a dime. Horsepower is the ability to do a certain amount of work this standard should NEVER be scaled down to produce impressive numbers ok with all that said let me return to the original question
And the answer is that you should use a 2cycle engine perhaps one from one of those pocket bikes

125ccCrazy

depending on what you want as far as 2 stroke or 4 stroke you can look into a kart engine like a Mculloch, Mac90 or Mac110 engine... plenty of power but can be expensive..

those rc engines run on nitro and propel a 20lb car to 40mph or more in a few seconds usually only limited by gearing. theres no doubt in my mind that they produce the power they claim

KB2ROCKET

Well I currenty own 4 of those engines I should make a 4 cylinder radial engine with a geared down output shaft and power a mini bike with it . Ahh so many ideas and so little talent and money to back it up

I'd say if he is okay with a 2 cycle one could get by with 100 ccs or under. Have you ever been in a convoy of 2 cycle boats? We would have to stagger so the people in the boats in back could breath.

the 5 hp briggs and the claimed 5 hp rc car engine are in fact in 2 different scales because the dyno used to calculate hp on the rc car engine has a much smaller counterweight than the dyno used on a 5 hp briggs or a 5hp diesel. the scale is different because if you get 200 of those rc engines their combined power would be 400 hp, most big rigs are stock pushing 300 to 500 hp believe it or not so does that mean those rc car engine can pull a 80000 pound trailer down the highway?? no bigger engines run on different scales. but hp is determined on how fast something can push something to a certain speed

the 5 hp briggs and the claimed 5 hp rc car engine are in fact in 2 different scales because the dyno used to calculate hp on the rc car engine has a much smaller counterweight than the dyno used on a 5 hp briggs or a 5hp diesel. the scale is different because if you get 200 of those rc engines their combined power would be 400 hp, most big rigs are stock pushing 300 to 500 hp believe it or not so does that mean those rc car engine can pull a 80000 pound trailer down the highway?? no bigger engines run on different scales. but hp is determined on how fast something can push something to a certain speed
This is why engines are rated by Horsepower and Torque.
Those little RC engines make small amounts of torque.

65ShelbyClone

the 5 hp briggs and the claimed 5 hp rc car engine are in fact in 2 different scales because the dyno used to calculate hp on the rc car engine has a much smaller counterweight than the dyno used on a 5 hp briggs or a 5hp diesel.
The size or "scale" of an engine has no bearing on the units. Horsepower is a measure of force(torque) applied over distance and time(RPM) no matter what. A 5,000hp diesel engine makes the same units of horsepower and torque that a 5hp R/C car engine does. The dynos are different sizes, but the units and the size of those units all remain exactly the same. Equations are all over the place to calculate torque or power if you have the two variables.

Assume KB2ROCKET's engine makes an honest 5hp @ 32,000rpm:

.......HP
TQ = ----- x 5252
......RPM

TQ = ------ x 5252

TQ = 0.82 ft-lbs.

Now try the same calculation with an engine making 5hp @ 3600rpm.

To answer clstalions's question, most two cycle engines will be dimensionally smaller than a four cycle for the same power output. The two cycle will tend to make peak power at a higher rpm and consequently less peak torque. What will work best depends on what you intend to do with the engine.