Engine question

I'm new to this forum, i usually work on bigger engines, but small engines have always been interesting to me. I'm a little confused, an engine i got from a neighbor for free(hell yeah)(what i believe is an H50, the starter cover is rusted badly, and there's no decals. But the head bolt pattern matches Tecumseh.) off a old sears rototiller(got the whole kuboodle hell yeah!) but anyways, engine was seized, no biggie, got it un-siezed, went to take the spark plug out...... clamped that sucker down and needed a 1/2" ratchet and socket to get the bugger out.... same story with the head bolts. except they needed the breaker bar. head gasket seems fine, piston and valves coated in carbon, cleaned up, they're good now. aluminum block, cast iron liner, but here's where i get confused. the engine has a base, but its an empty bottom. its not an oil pan. the crankcase is the oil pan. drain plugs tapped into the side of the crankcase from the factory. the story gets even weirder. There's a cast manifold on the side of the crankcase. its not cut out or the two holes drilled and tapped. its cast in the block...... its a 4 stroke...... Flathead engine. definitely not a 2 stroker. Very confused. Anyone able to shed any light on this? looked all over cant find any mention of this....... pictures and numbers soon to follow.

-Kyle

markus

That casting onto the block was a fuel pump mount If I recall. yes the bases are just a steel plate that unbolts on the medium frame H series engines.

markus

think the early ones were mechanical and they went to impulse style, Its not something they was, mini bike related so I dont know much about the fuel pump setups they used, mihght check with a tractor forum on that. it was not needed or used in all applications, some blocks its just cast on there.