Engine upgrade, but milder than a Predator...

Hi all! New here and new to minibikes in general. Picked up up a 97cc DB over the holidays and have been enjoying it a bunch. I've been recently toying with the idea of an engine upgrade and have come across the 6.5hp Predator a lot. I understand why it's such a common upgrade due to price, value and availability. However, are there any other common engine replacements available that have a little less punch? Maybe in the 4hp range?

Thanks for any help you can provide! This forum has been an excellent resource!

Hello and welcome.
Just because it has more power doesnt mean you have to lay it all out. It can be fun with the power it has, just also has some more power when you might need it too.

Last edited:
I haven't thrown out the Predator yet, just checking other options. Is there a GX120 clone around? What about a 4hp Briggs?
i have one laying around, just put it in the for sale section... if you like the condition and can freshen it up yourself, as far as gaskets, oil change, paint etc., let me know... what part of AZ are you in. my bro is coming down from Peoria next week and will be bringing me a motor, if you want to buy it and are close to him, he can bring it back up with him and you can meet him out there...

i have one laying around, just put it in the for sale section... if you like the condition and can freshen it up yourself, as far as gaskets, oil change, paint etc., let me know... what part of AZ are you in. my bro is coming down from Peoria next week and will be bringing me a motor, if you want to buy it and are close to him, he can bring it back up with him and you can meet him out there...
I think I am. Does it run?

I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I'm just looking for something smaller. Truth be told, the 97cc is plenty fast enough for my kids anyways. I'm just looking for a little something more, not a lot more. We just want to put around. Again just wondering about the options out there. Thanks for all the replies! I'm learning a lot from these forums...

I know it sounds a bit counter intuitive, but I'm just looking for something smaller. Truth be told, the 97cc is plenty fast enough for my kids anyways. I'm just looking for a little something more, not a lot more. We just want to put around. Again just wondering about the options out there. Thanks for all the replies! I'm learning a lot from these forums...
It was just pointed out to me (thanks Newoldstock) that the gx120 i have, has splined shaft and no thread for a clutch bolt... not sure if it would be an easy fix to drill and tap it, but personally, i wouldnt do that! im looking into it and the price would still be low

this would be the was to go and price isnt bad for a new crank, but with that being said, i would prob go ahead and rebuild the entire motor, then it would be worth more than the predator for sure, esp that you want something smaller...

Last edited:
The rebuild and crank would end up costing about the price of a brand new predator, and the predator has a nice throttle stop screw to limit power....

A stock Predator is hardly a powerhouse. If they've been riding the little 97cc a lot and are riding well, I'm entirely confident that they could handle a stock Predator A-OK.

That's just my opinion though, your mileage may vary.

Actually, if you really didn't want to even dump a $100 bill, poke around for the older 3hp & up Briggs flatheads. I have a couple of flatties sitting around (two of them are super, super mint 2.50hp & 3hp. models) that would be perfect for that application (but at the same time, I'm not interested in shipping).

Cheaper than a predator, and it's good ol' American iron (well... aluminum but still it stands) :wink:

Oh, and did I mention cheap? Parts are cheap, they'll run on anything that remotely resembles gasoline, and they just run & run & run & run.