Engine worth?

How would a person with an original H40 engine that has never been run,had oil in it with original paint, white, find out if collectors would want it?
Is there a site that would be able to help?

Last edited:
I've had this engine for a couple of years. I bought it from....are you ready for this?.....a group of Monks in Santa Fe. I was told it was a back up motor that was never used and sat in the barn for a very long time.
I just photo'd the engine,turns out it is a H40 not as I remembered a H35. With Tecumseh not showing the decade,I have assume the Monk I talked to was right?
You tell me.

I edited my text in the first post. I would not want to break the rules.

Last edited:
OK, I am wrong with the year then. Thank you for the info. The single digit year is a problem you have to know what it "looks" like to determine age.
The engine has a "wash" of some sort of protective oil film in the crankcase.Not lube oil. It does not look,smell or feel like motor oil. maybe one 1/2 ounce at the most.

Last edited:
The shroud is the give away. Pre 74-75 the shroud was in farther at the top because it had points under the flywheel. After that..they had the armature above it. So they made it more square towards the head for room.

That is a HS40, not a H40. Two different motors. Not uncommon to find a new (HS) around here, but then again they were made here in WI and in farm country we use engines on everything:thumbsup:

markus

I'll give you $250 shipped for it.....it will pull a little more than that on ebay most likely but thats what I'm offering if your selling :thumbsup: