fairbanks morse kickstart cup

Does anybody know if my Fairbanks Morse kickstarter needs a matching cup? it doesn't seem to work though I needed a new pawl arm, found one on ebay. Should it work with my stock tecumseh starter cup? if not what do I need? if someone has a part# that would help. If you have the right cup I'd love to see one, maybe I could make one. I've been searching everywhere and can't even get info about one. I would be very grateful for any help. I had to talk my wife out of $200 for the kicker, cant leave it on the shelf. I may have asked this question before but I've asked everyone and I'm loosing track!

Very interesting! Very pricey! Is that cup smooth on the inside? how do the pawl's grab it? I'm going to make that kicker work but I want it to be right. I think I can machine a new cup but I need more info. thank you so far though. your's is the first i've seen in a very long and exausting search. I might machine that one and slide it into my cup. What do you think? Help me do this right. thank you agian!!

Mac

Is that cup smooth on the inside? how do the pawl's grab it?
...Smooth inside for sure.
The little bent steel "grabbers" gouge into the aluminum and it engages.

...OK, Time for an "EDIT".

Here's pictures of mine. Notice the wear on the upper edge of the lower USED cup(The upper is still NOS):

Here's a couple of pictures of the recoils that use these:

The 2" cup height of mine are 1-7/8".

Last edited:

Mac

Thank You so much for the pictures! my next question is probably obvious. will you sell me one? How much? Please
I forgot to mention the small center hole where the cup bolts to the crankshaft is 7/16" in diameter.

I could sell my used one for $15.00 , but the shipping cost to Florida would empty your bank account.
....and I don't know if it's worn past a usable limit.

My NOS one goes with my boxed NOS recoil as pictured above.

Got a cup

I searched forever and I have to thank Mac for getting me on the right track! I could not find an original Fairbanks-tecumseh-rupp cup. I did find a homelite chainsaw cup that was close. I had to machine it a little shorter and put pins in the three holes in my flywheel and that was all. I hear Fairbanks Morse kick starts are hard to get, wait till ya need the cup! They haven't been made since 1970 I think. I still don't know what one looks like! Though I have a pretty good idea. If ya need help finding and modifying one just ask I'll be happy to help. Well my kick start works GREAT now. Onto my next project. I found a correct lighting coil and flywheel, Got'em both for $100, Got lucky! Light's on a warm Florida night is gonna be awesome!