First Fuel Management System HELP!!

FatBuddyCat

Hey guys, I'm adding a fuel tank to my go kart and need some pointers. I want one of those Aluminum sump style fuel cells mounted up in front, under the steering area. I'm running a Stage 1 Predator 212 Hemi with 18# Springs and 8 degree key. I want a full top plate, governed and a Walbro pump. What should I look out for?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, here's a pic of what I'm working with. The gas tank is off and ready for the install now...... 20210129_182601.jpg

I have that setup and it works fine. I used a mikuni fuel pump and had a lot of issues with the engine running fine, then DSC02320.JPG DSC02321.JPG DSC02322.JPG DSC02323.JPG sputtering then OK again. The walbro pump is much better. I had a bunch of these mikuni pumps and finally switched it out and now it runs fine. Here are some pics of my setup. Because the tank is lower than the engine you have to prime the system or crank it a lot to get the fuel thru the pump and fill carb bowl. I just use compressed air by taking off the tank cap and blowing air into the tank while covering the hole with my hand to build just a little bit of pressure, I can see the line fill up then I stop.

FatBuddyCat

As you can see on mine the tank mounts to the floor pan with rubber isolators. That center bar will cause you problems.
I was going to use Square tubing to make a box so it would sit over the center tube. This thing is pretty nuts for a yard kart. Just that Predator 212 Hemi gets scary since the brakes and steering are mostly controlled with the right foot. Another option I was considering is an electric start engine. Would I notice a big difference with a 223 limited to 4000rpm?

desert rat

The right foot steering was the thing with this one till I pinned the axle. Now it's just stupid fast in a strait line and don't want to turn. This one has two fuel tanks, the 2x3 tube in front of the tire doubles as one tank and forward motor mount. You can see the filler tube into the rear tank/ motor mount. The one thing I will bring up about the fuel pumps is keep them low with the tank. They push not pull fuel. This one has the pump on the rear tank and works like a dream.

Attachments

FatBuddyCat

The right foot steering was the thing with this one till I pinned the axle. Now it's just stupid fast in a strait line and don't want to turn. This one has two fuel tanks, the 2x3 tube in front of the tire doubles as one tank and forward motor mount. You can see the filler tube into the rear tank/ motor mount. The one thing I will bring up about the fuel pumps is keep them low with the tank. They push not pull fuel. This one has the pump on the rear tank and works like a dream.
That kart is awesome! I definitely didn't know they push the fuel. Game changer!

desert rat

K y'all gotta quit with these karts n Shtuff... one addiction is hard enuff 2 find/fund..

Jus'sayin... o_O

Way nice lookin kart DesertRat! :cool:
Thank you. I made the little one for "short" people. If you are over 4 foot tall it's a very tight fit. At 5'9" tall I can get on it but I cannot get back off by myself. It is 2'5" axle to axle and 2'8" outside the rear tires with a 6 hp Honda.

FatBuddyCat glad you got a chuckle out of that.

Desert Rat:That takes me out of the pic, I'm way to Ol'nFat to get in it let alone out of it! now plz don't let the daughter see it or it'll be "But Daaaad"! Lol and here i was thinkin hmmm... bout right for a barstool racer c'mon! :cool:

Desert Rat:That takes me out of the pic, I'm way to Ol'nFat to get in it let alone out of it! now plz don't let the daughter see it or it'll be "But Daaaad"! Lol and here i was thinkin hmmm... bout right for a barstool racer c'mon! :cool:
You could always extend the frame pretty easily! OR switch it to hand controls on a steering wheel then add a t-bar of sorts out front a few inches to rest your feet on. Take the seat off and run the steering shaft straight up and down then put a sweet cooler on it! Soooo many reasons to keep it around!!

desert rat

I'm going to do one better. There is a family that rides off road bikes past my house. I'm going to see if they want to let their young one try out the cart. I figure he is about 7 maybe, should fit right on it. If he can ride dirt he can handle a cart. I'm not looking to sell it I just like to see it get used. If they want one I will help them build their own.

You could always extend the frame pretty easily! OR switch it to hand controls on a steering wheel then add a t-bar of sorts out front a few inches to rest your feet on. Take the seat off and run the steering shaft straight up and down then put a sweet cooler on it! Soooo many reasons to keep it around!!
Folding foot rest (t-bar) and hand controls would keep it super compact and easy to trans
That would also work!