flywheel and magneto question

MEZ

When you replace a flywheel you don't have to replace the magneto correct? I got a lighted flywheel from one of the members here and i think maybe it doesn't work??? it worked fine with the older one, put the new one on and it wont make a spark. motor is a tech ohh50, suggestions?

MNGB

You can't get a lighting system by just changing the flywheel, and yes you need both the flywheel and mad/lighting coil assy that go togather.

MEZ

no i have the coil that goes behind the flywheel that the lights run off of, but my problem is that the magneto that makes the spark isnt working or something. i think maybe i have a bad flywheel??? is that common?

all the spacing is right between the two and everything and the flywheel still feels like it has a magnetic pull to it but when i crank the pull cord (spark plug removed) it wont give me a spark

Hello there sometime you need to have the recoil assemble on to get a good spark another thing to check is that you tightened the flywheel tight enough
A good way to do it is to stick some rope through the sparkplug hole make sure you get enough in there the. Tighten away a torque wrench comes in handy
Hopes this helps
Keep us updated

MEZ

alright fixed it now im ridin again haha but i feel like an idiot. went out and got a new spark plug and now it works great. dont know why the old one didnt work because it did before. o well its running like a top now. thank yall for the help and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! woohoo :scooter:

You have to adjust the settings of your carb. If you are not familiar with the proper method, look it up... there have been many threads on it here. The tecumseh servive manual also shows the proper method. Also make sure your air filter isnt all clogged up.

air filter is fine. is the factory OHH 50 carb adjustable?
Nope, probably not.. :doah: You'd need a smaller jet.. maybe run a small single thread of copper wire through the jet hole itself and twisty it so it can't come out and go from there? :shrug: I never tried it but it sounds like genius.. :laugh:

What is the jet size you have now? I might have a smaller one for ya? :shrug: there should be a number of the bore size stamped into the bottom of the brass nut holding the bowl on..