Found a Cat in my stash

Since cleaning and reorganizing I can now find stuff so the other day going though my small wheel collection and found A rear wheel for my Cat minibike. The tire was dry rotted so I tried to remove it - yeah right but my 20 ton tire de-mounter finally broke the bead. Pretty rusted out and the star wheel cap ain't much better. I would sure like to make a mold to press some of these out - I bet there would be a market for them.

i thought about making a mold for those too. I came to the conclusion its easier said than done :laugh: but it may be time to take another crack at it :thumbsup:

im thinking the center hole would have to be punched out before hand and the mold would need a pipe through the center to keep the piece centered. i would think wood should be strong enough. even if you pressed them out of aluminum then they can be polished up

TomH

I have thought about making a mold and casting them in plastic, no more rust:laugh: But they wouldn't be cheap enough for the tight wads around here.:laugh: That casting stuff is high, and a chrome set would be up there in price. Too busy right now to mess with it. They make a really strong durable plastic resin, Jeep like they make foot ball tees out of. Might be strong enough to use to press some aluminum with. Wood will work but getting the shape would take some doing, unless you had a 5 axis CNC handy.

if your in it for the money just make kick stands. the last one i saw sell on ebay went for 70 buks :eek:ut: just got to find a source for the weird outer spring

TomH

be easiest to make a rear fender wouldn't it. I am not a metal man, but it looks the easiest to me. I have seen some rusty ones go for over 60 here. and quick too.

when it comes to kickstands i alway use the adjustable ones used on bicycles, i found several new one at a yard sale awhile back for a $1. I still thinking about the Cat center and like Tom also thought about plastic. After I finish my Western Flyer I need to put my brain :eek:ut: to work.

i started making a mold for the stars out of oak. I think the top should be fairly easy to carve out because it will just be digging a hole until the star fits . the bottom will be more difficult I think. Ill post pics when i make some progress